Synthetic Oils

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drains, Dec 7, 2003.

1. drains

drains LawnSite Member

I have done a search on synthetic oils such as amsoil and opti and, if I understand correctly, it can be mixed up to 100:1 and used in ANY 2 cycle engine irregardless of what the manufacturer calls for? If so I want some because although I have shindaiwa trimmers and edgers which use the same blend, my eb630 blower is different. Someone please give me the facts on this.
    Has anyone here had any problems with this situation? Thanks

2. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

There have been some past threads on this topic but here is my take. Synthetic oil is and always will be a better oil. In my opinion you can use synthetic oil in any recent quality 2 cycle engine. I have a eb630 and it has run very well over the past couple of years with opti. I usually mix it at ~80:1 becuase I think that ratio is the best of both worlds. The eb630 might be different (i never looked I just poured gas in a used it) because the engine runs at full power most of the time. However, you will be fine running 80:1 with synthetic.

3. I been useing amsoil mixed at 80 to 1 for years no fouled plugs no plugged exhault ports.

Even those little resister screens on the inside on the muffler dont plug.
    And i use amsoil in several different brands of two cycle equipment

4. Both of the mention oils are great to use.I use opti because it is easier for me to get but amsoil is just as good or better.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Amsoil at 80 to 1 here. ZERO problems in 3 years of use.

6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use the new Echo Performance oil? I have been using it for the past year, before that just thier regular 50:1. I have had no problems with longevity. I mix it a little thicker than 50:1 but I am not sure if I should change my habits. I run Husqvarna, Shindaiwa and Echo mostly Shindaiwa. I have slowly been switching to their products over the past year because of dealer support being closer and better.

You guys are confusing me, now I feel as if i need to do something different.

Thanks for confusing a guy so early on a Monday morning.....:confused: :confused: :confused:

7. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Blades - we are not trying to confuse you :)

I'm not sure but I believe that their "performance oil" is just normal oil with a fancy name. If you feel that this oil is working well for you stick with it!!! However if this is not the case I would switch over to a synthetic oil. Just because an oil is distributed by a manufacture does not mean it is the best oil available.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here is my expierence. For a couple years I used a John Deere "universal" oil and never had problems. Until one day my Poulan chain saw locked up. It didn't do this until I ran a tank or so of the JD oil through it. Thought it could of been a coincidense or just the fact that the saw petered out. Either way, I quit using the JD and went to the Opti II. Since I had bought a new chain saw....Stihl 029. Again...using a universal mix the motor appeared to seize up. I could not pull at all. I put it in the garage in disgust and took couple asprins and nap. Well, weeks later I got the saw to start...without having to do anything. Never had any problems with the universal mix in my other 2 cycle equipment Shin trimmer, JD edger, Mauryama trimmer and 2 Stihl blowers. My lesson learned, Opti II for all 2 cycle equipment except chainsaw and will use Stihl brand oil mixed to the correct ratio. Just my .02

9. drains

drains LawnSite Member

What quality or qualities is it about synthetic oil that will allow the mixture to be altered so greatly, as going from 50:1, as I do now with my Shindaiwa trimmer and edger, to 80:1 or I saw a post with someone using a 100:1 mixture. This is not me doubting anyones experience it is just me making sure I've got things right before I take a chance on ruining high dollar equipment. It would be nice to eliminate a couple of gas cans if I can get by with it. Thanks

10. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I run pretty much all Shindaiwa equpment now. I went to their website after reading the 80:1 ratio on the EB630 because i have 3 of them. Here is a capture from there website..

Question: My machine requires a gas/oil mixture, can you tell me what the ratio would be?

Answer: Gas/oil mixture ratio from past to present can range from 16:1, 20:1, 25:1, 32:1, 40:1, 50:1 up to 100:1. For example, for a 50:1 ratio means that for every 50 equal parts gasoline there is 1 equal part oil.

All Shindaiwa units are certified to run on a 50:1 oil ratio using Shindaiwa 2-cycle mixing oils. Make sure you refer to and use the manufacturer's recommended fuel to oil ratio for your product.

© 2002 Shindaiwa