Synthetic putting greens?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cody, Feb 9, 2002.

1. cody

cody LawnSite Member
    from 6

We are now installing back yard putting greens.There is no comparison to natural turf as far as cost.Synthetic -no maintenace.natural -more than the average home owner is willing to commit to.Anyone doing this have any insight or a good lead on suppliers?

2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

HGTV just did an episode on this.. I can not remember the guys name that hosts the show (he is one of the ones that never gets dirty -bob villa like). Might want to check the website.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Cody, do you get the trade magazines like Turf, Pro, etc.? They have ads in them for these. That might help as far as a supplier. Can't help ya with insight on them though.

If you don't get these mags, do a search on here. There are threads with links to most of the major mags, and you can subscribe to them from thier sites.
    Or, I can give ya some back issues to check out since your close by. LMK.

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Sport Courts. They offer both courts and putting greens. Maybe there is an available distributorship in your area.

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

www.allprogreens.com/ All the stuf and info you need. Even send you a video. No franchises to buy, no quotas to meet. They were very helpful for us.

6. cody

cody LawnSite Member
    from 6

Thanks SCL but there are a few things that dont sit well with me.
    It clearly states in video and brochure that they offer a unconditional 1 year guarantee,OK fine, Chris(the owner) tells me they honor the guarantee but only to my cost?Worst case scenerio a customer does have a problem and wants a return how do I explain they only get back my cost ie. $563 on a 12'x24'
    versus what they paid (my upcharge) of say $800? I personally wouldnt be to happy about that as a consumer. Sorry for jumping around but as far as my last question of the guarantee,I've decided not to use the brochures since they promise all these warrantees that arent very clearly stated. Also, on the sales videos I purchased it has the companys direct #.Before I went to the customers home I pulled the # off. Im actually installing one of these for a customer in a couple of weeks. Have you come across any problems or concerns with these installations? Do the really go in as simple as they look? Are you comfortable with the product and the installation steps?I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this product.

Thanks
    Best wishes to everyone for a prosperous season!

7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Cody,
    To be honest, I have installed a grand total of 1. The customer asked for it and I didn't mess with a guarantee, or any sales literature. Install was just as advertised, almost the same as pavers for a base and use your imagination for design and contour. Never saw the brochures, but reading back through the manuals, looks like they are trying to market to homeowners. Love it when these guys try to play both sides. Use what you can from them, offer your own warranty if you like, even scan their crap and make your own literature. Just a thought. By the way, I don't have a distributor of anything that will warranty my markup or my labor, except some wall and paver stuff. Good Luck!

8. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I too have just ordered 2 - 12x24 mats from "allpro" for a client... to be installed in the next month or so...

seems easy enough ... I've done enough pavers that I should be prepared for it...:laugh:
    If all goes well, I will advertise for these in my area...
    Many golfers/Golf courses around here!! And this service really isn't really offered by anyone around here...