synthetic turf

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CLARK LAWN, Jan 14, 2008.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i got a call today from someone that wants synthetic turf for their lawn. has anyone else done this if so what were the costs and how is it to install. i contacted synturf and im waiting to here back from them.

2. jbirdturf

jbirdturf LawnSite Member

I do synthetic golf greens as well as lawn turf. It is pretty expensive. Depending on the access to the yard, the size, and the amount of cuts that will be made, determine my pricing which is any where from $6 to $8/sq. ft. The job will require tons of rock, and a lot of sand. It is definitely labor intensive, and not something that just any one can do without the help of someone who has done this type of thing before. Let me know if I can help you with finding a turf supplier or any other questions.

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I have put in tons of greens and tee boxes with syn. turf. Excavate tons of base turf seam topdress pm me we were getting 15 a sq ft that was for greens and tees long wide open streches should be way easier.

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im down here in South Florida where golf is king, how hard is it to install? I was thinking about adding as a add on service?

5. Drew Gemma

average home owner on a budget we can do start to finish 3 days 1 day excavate 2nd day build base set turf and seam 3r day topdress clean up cash check.

6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

So Drew how diffucult is the learning curve for a new contractor? At the open house they made it out be fool proof.

7. h2oman

h2oman LawnSite Member

Is the $6 to $8/sq.ft. for the green or does it include all materials and labor?

8. Drew Gemma

the final grade of the base you need those skills and the seaming takes practice. other than that every job is different.

9. jbirdturf

jbirdturf LawnSite Member

That is everything included, but that price is for lawn turf. Greens are different and require more work and detail, and an eye for the golfer. When doing greens you have more to worry about, such as grain, smoothness of the putting surface, and proper surface drainage so you don't end up with bird baths. We do greens for around $13/sq. ft. But like Drew said, seaming takes practice and every job is definitely different, but thats what makes them fun to do.

10. h2oman

h2oman LawnSite Member

Do you use All Pro, Synlawn or a diff. company? I have been looking at All Pro for the greens, and Synlawn for the lawn part...What is your experience with the lawn you use, do you use crushed rubber or sand? We are still exploring all the options.