System install using irrigation well

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by fireman1173005, Sep 20, 2012.

1. fireman1173005

fireman1173005 LawnSite Member

Ok here is a new one for me. I live in Oklahoma and about 20 min from where I live is a farming community that uses irrigation (not underground sprinklers) to water their crops. This consists of 2"-3" pipe above ground from a well with a gas or sometimes electric pump that waters the whole field. This guy has a well and pump by his house that is good but he doesn't use any longer. I am supposed to go look at it next week but he says it'll put out 75 gpm. I don't doubt that it will as these are made to water a row of sprinkler heads 40-80 acres long at times. He says I could probably put all of his heads on one zone. If his well will do what it says and has the psi to do the job and I split it into two zones (sprays/rotors) does any one see any problems with this? Of course on wells I always install a sand filter and I might even have to reduce the pressure depending on what the pump is putting out.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

First you need to determine the condition of the pumping system.

Gpm availability. Drop pipe. Single or 3 phase. Etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. fireman1173005

Yeah that's another problem too. Somehow I would have to sync my timer with the timer of the motor. My answer to that would be for the motor to kick on and then the valves to open shortly after maybe a minute or 2 later. But not sure if that would burn the pump up or not
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. fireman1173005

More than likely I'm going to recommend that he replace the high volume pump with a regular well pump but just wanted to explore this option.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i didn't say it wouldn't work, you just need to know exactly what you're working with and build to the requirements instead of in spite of the system requirements.

if a psr, pressure tank, switch or whathaveyou is required it's pretty simple. build to the requirements.

same is true with the power. build to it
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Somewhat hard to follow what you are describing. Sounds like you are looking for a pump start relay with a station delay.

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Is it a submersible pump?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

we like photos :)

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

from the Op's original description of the site i would lean towards turbine pump.
    Posted via Mobile Device