Systemic treatment for aphids?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Alan Mikkelsen, May 18, 2005.

1. Alan Mikkelsen

Alan Mikkelsen LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Is there a systemic treatment that can be applied to maple trees (watering into roots) to deal with aphid infestations?

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Alan,
    If you are a licensed applicator, these are more effective than anything that may become tied up in the soil before reaching the roots. http://www.mauget.com/home.html

3. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Merit in the soil won't tie up applied at the root flange. It is hard to beat for long term control, albeit a bit slow to get to the leaves. Best to apply in the fall/winter for spring control. Mauget will be faster for sure, but not as long lasting and wounding is a concern in my book.
    Neal

4. Alan Mikkelsen

Alan Mikkelsen LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Thank you. I applied Merit to six large maple trees. Won't do much for this year, but I'll make another application in march of next year.

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

True, not long lasting, but certainly an effective tool for certain sites and extra quick results. I would say it's my choice where spraying is not an option and further decline of the tree is a higher risk than a small hole to the cambium layer. In the scheme of things, trimmers, improper planting/pruning/watering, pullution, insects, sucking and boring all present much higher degrees of damage than this sort of treatment. I would like your opinion on root injecting an insecticide with a liquid probe feeder, if you have one.