T-230 problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Northwest, May 29, 2001.

1. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

My Shin T-230 has decided not to start. It is a year and a half old and I have had no problems with it before other than gas coming out the air cleaner when it tips sideways in the holder on the trailer. When I try to start it know most of the pulls it doesn't fire. Sometimes it does but only two or three times and then stops. I pulled the plug cleaned it, pulled the muffler it was clean as was the exhaust port, pulled the carb and cleaned it with choke cleaner. I don't know what to do other than replacing the plug tommorrow. There is a thread from last year a couple of guys had similar problems then they had to start replacing the plug every week or two to get it to run. Any of you find out what the actual problem was or how to fix it without replacing plugs every week? :confused:
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My problem was carbon deposits shrouding the spark plug inside the cylinder. I cleaned the deposits out and use AMSOIL 100:1 synthetic oil mixed at 80:1. No problems since.
  3. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

Clean the carb out,as it should not leak gas,then it will be back to a two pull start,also tighten down the two jug bolts
  4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Take the muffler off, and clean it and the spark arrestor, clean the spark arrestor with a wire brush, and blow the muffler out with compressed air.
    This has solved many of our weed eater woes.
  5. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Mine did the same thing, it had a tiny hole in the fuel line.
  6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your fuel line inside the tank. My gas station switched to ethanol in fuel, and I did not realize it until fuel lines started disintegrating. My Shin would run a few seconds, then stop.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I would check the fuels lines for cracks and such, put a new fuel filter in, then you may need to replace the carb. It's no big deal, and relatively cheap. J. Thomas has them listed for $37, your local dealer will be about the same.
  8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

It should not leak fuel from the air cleaner. If this is the case you probably need to kit the carb. Especially if you use ethonol based fuel. The alcohol in these fuel tend to cause the rubber diaphram and other parts to slowly soften and distort them. Also if you run premium fuel from a name brand service station you'll have very little problems, except for any occassional fuel filter and spark plug. Also running a high quality synethic 2 cycle mix will reduce some problems such as carbon build up at the exhaust port.
  9. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

All 3 of my T-230 will leak gas out the carb if they get laid carb facing down. The trick is to lay them in the truck carb up. Also don,t put the gas cap on to tight. this will also make it lose suction on the tank by not letting it vent properly,, That's just what my dealer says about the cap thing?? Who knows.
  10. My 2 cents... Check and replace fuel lines fuel filter, change the sprak plugs. This always does the trick.