T-50 Finn Hydroseeder

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MLI, Jan 2, 2001.

1. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I ran into someone selling a T-50 hydroseeder. Its
    1988 model,with gas engine. Im not worried about the
    age of the engine, but was concerned with possible
    rust or rot of components on the inside. Is there a
    life expectancey to the inside of these machines?
    what else should I look for when inspecting it? He
    wants $8000. for it.....thanks for any info!
  2. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

You might want to make sure the seller has kept all the bearings greased on a regular basis, and that the machine has been covered when not in use. Also, make sure the hoses have no leaks (they cost $1.50/ft to replace). If they filled the machine out of a pond, look at the suction hose and see if there is small mesh on the end to prevent pebbles from being sucked into the tank. Usually, the owner would have to add this type of protection, it just shows they care about what's going into the tank - cause that hydroseeder will have to pump it right back out.
    And yes, rust should be a concern, but most of it is likely just superficial as long as the tank has been cleaned frequently (few times a week).
    Good luck.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I talked with a fellow the other day that is getting out of the business, I don't know exactly what model he has but payoff was $10,000. I think he's desperate to sell. This one is mounted on a trailer, pretty big tank, and he is the only one around here that has one. I guess people in this area still want sod cause he only did one or two jobs with it, it's brand new.
  4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I got that info for ya but could not get through on e-mail. I posted it on the commercial site. Did you get it?
  5. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

Most hydro seeding equipment will have rust. We deal with fertilizer and water, rust is just part of the games. Most machines are referbushed every few years. Any rusted areas are fixed. Check out the rusted area to make sure that it hasn't rusted through and ask for a demo with mulch to see if the pump is still good. If the machine is in bad shape need to be refurbished it will normally cost $4-6k to bring it back to like new conditions.

If you are interested in seeing new machines check out he Hydro Turf Planters Associations Conference Feb 23 & 24