1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

T-bar controls for everyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tx Firefighter, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

I was in my dealer last week buying some stuff and he said that the Toro patent on the T-bar controls was over, and the other manufacturers were going to be offering the system in the near future.

I'd sure like to have a Scag with T-bar myself.

Was he just pulling this out of thin air, or has anyone else heard about it?
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Well he pulled it out of some place. Many manufactures have their own variation on the same system. I personally prefer the Hustler type.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I hate the T bar steering. I had a Toro walkbehind with that system, and none of my employees would load it on their trailer. Finally sold it. I think the Gravely Pro Steer and the Exmark ECS systems are way better than that Toro Fiasco.:)
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

could be true, all patents run out some time.
  5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I think a patent is good for 17 years from what I learned in business class but i'll double check.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Wish my scag had the T-bar, I love my T-bar toro
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

love the t bar on belt/gear drives. Wasn't so good on the hydro. Hard to imagine an easier to use system for belt drives. The gravely system looks better for hydros.