1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

T Bar Or Scag Question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I Have A 48"tiger Cub And Love It. Over 1100 Hours On It And It Has Only Had Regular Maintenance(oil, 2 Belts, Ect..) I Am Now In Need Of A 48" Wb, Scag Only Has Pistol Grips From What I Have Heard The T Bar Sounds Great. It Also Sounds Like A Darn Good Mower That You Can Log A Lot Of Hours On. The Scag Dealer Is A Bit Closer But I Rarely Have To Go There Because Of Scags Quality And I Buy Filters 10 At A Time.

So My Question Is Should I Stick With Scags Pistol Grips Or Go With The Toro T Bar?
  2. samk

samk LawnSite Member

love the T-bar originally bought it because of a wrist problem. would never use pistol grips again.
  3. Coumbe

When I First Stated My Hand Would Go Numb Early In The Season. Over The Years I Have Gotten Used To It But It Still Gets Tired. Have You Used A Sulky With The T Bar. Does It Reverse At All(assisted Reverse)??
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same set up as you do, scag tiger cub and I have a toro T-Bar. The T-bar controls are great. On the belt drive model I think you will have to step off the velke for reverse and its just an assisted reverse, not very strong. But the T-Bar control comfort more than make up for the reverse in my opinion

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I have no problems with pistol grips,learning how to run scags will help you i highly suggest go and demo a few in the slow season.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

when i spoke to the scag reps at the orlando GIE Expo, they were hinting at offering somthing other than the pistol grips in the near future....I guess they have to figure out someting that doesn't infringe on anyone elses design patents
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I love my T-bar, it's gear drive. I can back up on my sulky, no problem even up hills. I have a couple of buddies with T-bar belt drives and all of them can back up on a sulky no problem. I know a lot of pistol grip gear drives only have back up assist, but every T-bar I've used can back up no problem, as long as you don't jack-knife.
  8. Coumbe

Is That A 36 0r 48 Or Does It Matter. 48 Gets More Done But A 36 Fits Thru More Gates. What Do You Run And Why?
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

once you use a t bar-there is no going back!
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't get what the problem is on Scag we run several and don't have any problem? If the unit is tracking you don't need to exert any force. And on T-Bar don't you have to keep constant force to make the unit drive? Do they have T-Bar on hydro units. The kind we have on Snappers are very unsafe?