T-bar Transmission ???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by martinfan06, Oct 19, 2006.

1. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Our transmission is acting up on or t-bar belt drive, when you apply force to the t-bar the transmission wants to stop. When you release the force it starts turning again. We removed the transmission removed the old grease, splines and gears seemed fine turned easily by hand no missing teeth or metal in the casing. Put back together with new grease everything seemed fine, still doing the same thing even a little worse.

Went to my dealer new transmission 450$:dizzy: :dizzy: I barely paid that much for entire mower. What bad is the rest of the mower is in great shape hour meter shows 417 hours deck is great mower starts 1st pull every-time.

32" toro t-bar proline 12 hp Kohler Any ideas thanks guys???

2. awdriven

awdriven LawnSite Member

I'm not sure I quite understand your symptoms based on the way you explained them. Have you checked to make sure that the belt from the engine to the trans input pulley is not slipping? Are your gears in the trans engaging properly?

It's probably a peerless 700 series trans, like most. If you -do- have to change it, j-thomas and Russo Power have good prices on replacements. (More like $250).

3. There's nothing inside the transmission to slip. Just gears.
    Just run the mower up to something solid like a tree. Someone lay on the ground with a flashlight. While someone else engages the drive a little, watch to see what's slipping. It'll about have to be either the belt or the pulley's turning on the shaft. Just keep your hands out of there.

awdriven's right about it being a 700 series peerless. You just can't find one aftermarket with the Toro suffix. I had to go back to the dealer for mine.

But I don't think it's your transmission.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Did you look at the splines inside the drive shaft couplers closely ? They can strip and the trans. shaft splines can still look fine.

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeap its the belt thanks guys, just had to step back and let some fustration receed so could think clearly, thanks guys for the help.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

That or the keys inside as well. The newer 9 spline setups dont have many problems like the older 27 spline ones did. But the shift keys in the trans will wear out from shifting without clutching and what not. Then they will skip. They are spring loaded and it will make a clicking noise and have a jerky motion.

Glad to hear it was just the belt in your case :)