1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

T-ing off a line

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Smallaxe, Sep 15, 2009.

1. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first summer offering irrigation repair, / maintenance. Before this year I would tell customers that i will fix a head, set times and other controller adjustments. but never add to or remove any heads or zones. I knew that you do have to know how to properly understand the amount of pressure and how it works in the system. I still don't know as much as I'd like but i read and studied a lot before jumping into this service. POINT is I was like you but don't guess or service something you are not trained in. pass it on to one who knows. We can't do everything for all customers.
  2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

True... I'm not agreeing that someone stating that great pressure and volume cuts it.

But really.. It is just one head...
    There are a ton of things to factor in yes. But If I saw a zone that had lack of coverage in a certain area and the pressure to the zone seemed adequate for me. There is nothing for me to figure out other then adding the effing head.

Though, I admit I rarely have faith or believe in someone when it comes to those kind of things. I would rather do it all myself.
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Mitch. As long as Axe makes sure he isn't going to kill the rest of the zone or exceed safe operating velocity he will be fine.
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the responses.
    It is better that I do it than be shown up by the homeowner having to do it.

I am thinking of running 25' or so of 1/2 inch hose off the main line, straight to the head, rather than going the distance with 1" hose.

My concern is :
    Will it drop the pressure considerably?

This area could easily tolerate a 50% - 75% reduction in pressure. Only need a 15 foot radius of spray.
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Axe, you need to do your homework.

1) Hose? What is that?

2) 50% - 75% reduction in pressure ..... HUH! You can't seriously think you will get anything close to spec'd performance with that much pressure loss. Beyond that, what kind of pipe is going to produce that much loss over 25' ...... 1/4"?
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: I thought it was pushing the envelope, but sure would save a lot of time and work. :laugh:

Now I know what I'm gonna do.

BTW... What I am tapping into is not PVC it is some sort of rigid hose... or a rose by another name...

Thanks again...
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

lol ..........
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Awright, who swiped my hundred-foot roll of funny pipe :realmad:
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just so no one thinks a suggestion to use funny pipe for a one-head addition is technically unsound, we present the pressure loss tables from Toro's catalog. Note that the elbow fittings will usually cost more pressure than the pipe will.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Pressure loss in the pipe is per foot, not per 100 feet.

25*0.01 = 0.25 PSI which = more than fittings .... unless you are using more than 5 elbows