T.O.M.A. ads

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnstudent, May 24, 2002.

1. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody have experience with T.O.M.A. type ads in the local newspaper that they would like to share? Thank you.

jim

2. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

What is TOMA an acronym for?

3. lawnstudent

Top Of Mind Awareness (T.O.M.A)

It is a type of ad wihich is very simple and clean. It includes your company name, logo, graphic and one benefit statement. It runs every week multiple days per week. It gets your company name out in the public's eye. Think of it like a billboard in the newspaper (though the benefit statement can be modified from day-to-day, week-to-week, etc.)

jim

4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advertising education. We do not run ads in the paper other than help wanted in the classifieds.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

My ad simply states "Bill's Lawn Service Since 1993" and the phone numbers. 2 1/2 inch square. It starts tomorrow. We will see how it works out.

6. lawnstudent

Bill,

the seminar I attended indicated that results are longer term. Don't expect immediate results. But I'm still interested to hear your feed back on this. E-mail me if this thread fades off the radar screen. Thanks!

jim

7. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Coming from other industries, newspaper is your highest cost per sale unless you have a great offer (Free!! Free!! Free!!) or are planning to significant branding campaign (12-24 months).

Good Luck!!

8. lawnstudent

heygrassman,

what do you suggest?

1) word-of-mouth: its good, cheap and slowest method. Is working but too slow.

2) logo and number on trailer/truck: doing it, working.

3) Door hangers/flyers: when you figure printing costs + door hanger bags + my time to walk + 1% response rate = not much cheaper than newspaper per customer. Doing it. Will continue to do it.

4) other?

I don't mow. I don't intent to mow. I am not on same property every week that neighbors see me, my truck, & my mowing service on regular basis.

I aerate & slit seed now. Will add apps this fall. I want to start my campain for fall and I am open to all creative suggestions. I've searched and read most of past threads on advertising.

jim

9. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

lawn Guy

The more people see your name the better chance you have of recieving the call when they need a service.

R.T.C
    James

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I should add, its in for 30 days at a stretch. I will decide the end of June whether to renew or not.