1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

T-Shoes or Boots

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by pgiambat, Jun 6, 2006.

1. pgiambat

pgiambat LawnSite Member

Tennis shoes or Boots??
    What do you cut in?

I'm an owner/operator, that means I cut 'em all. I prefer tennis shoes for lightweight and comfort. BUT I've noticed over the years the bottoms of tennes shoes get slick, especially on Zosia grass (all zosia must die).

If boots are your choice, state what brand and price and where you got 'em.
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If it's really hot, I'm wearing shorts & tennis shoes. But, if I know I'm going to be in some rough territory or it's colder out, I wear boots & pants.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

gotta be boots....even if I was wearing shorts I had boots on, yup I looked goofy...Your feet/ankles are your most important asset(yes you hear me right)...If you cannot walk, you are done...all it takes is a gopher hole, mole hole, steping off a curb or trailer wrong to turn your ankle.... or drop something on your toes...A good pair of boots may be heavier than the chuck taylor all-stars, and cost more, but it offers more protection and longegivity. Would you buy a curved shaft ryobi string trimmer to use day in and day out....why do the same to your feet....and while you are at it...buy a good pair of polarized sun glasses that also offer ANSI eye protection... 100 bucks for boots and 100 bucks for safety sunglasses that will last you a year is money well spent. IMO... and whenthe glasses get scratched too much to use everyday, now you have spare set to leavein the truck, and same with the boots, after a year, you have a good pair of backup boots in case your main pair get wet...
  4. pgiambat

pgiambat LawnSite Member

You said TONS!! I love seeing a homeowner with his curved shaft Ryobi, it made me laugh that you wrote that, worse than that is an electric mower, I just about pull over and cut their grass for free.
    Anyway, I'm all about the safety too, eyes and ears for sure!! What prompted this was me lifting my right foot a little too high under the back end of my 52" SCAG Hydro and got a good belt rub on the top of my toes. I had to stand there for a minute and think about what COULD have happened...
    That was friday, yesterday I was cutting with some leather boots.
    What brand do you wear? Are there some real good ones for Lawn & Landscape?

Thanks for your reply.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

when i was cutting full time in florida. I used Hi-tec magnum boot with high ankles lace up... they were black which made me look real goofy. but it was ok. they are steel toed and they are marketed towards LEO and Swat teams. they are failry light but not waterproof. I found my pair at the local army/navy store...or here
    http://www.bootbay.com/magnum/?gtse=goog&gtkw=magnum boots

I have also used rocky boots, 9" bearclaws(nice in the winter) and I now for my "walk-around" duties I use the lawngrips slip ons....with steel toes.
  6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

With shorts, I wear Merrell low top hikers....they feel GREAT and they are gore-tex...I hate wet feet.

With jeans and in winter, Wolverines...Im looking at some Danner hikers but theyre $200! But when you make a living on your feet its worth it.
  7. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I mow and landscape in Carolina 8" steel toe loggers boots. Very comfortable and keep my feet dry and protected.
  8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of my common sense safety rules.

Steel toe high ankle waterproof boots. You guys are taking a big big risk if you don't steel toe shoes. One slip under a mower and their goes your business and your toes/foot.

Wear safety glasses when trimming or you eye(s) may be damaged for life with rock/ broken glass flying in your eye(s).

Don't mow in rain. Never know when lightening will strike you.

Wear sun screen to help prevent cancer.
  9. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I wear a short Wolverine work boot, with pants or shorts. In the winter I wear a high Carolina logger boot. I would rather spend the extra money for some good boots than have my feet hurt everyday.
    Also, wear safety glasses even when your mowing. A couple years ago a piece of grass got into my eye. Long story short I ended up at the hospital because whatever I got in my eye I was allergic to, my eye was swollen shut. Needless to say I couldn't see for a couple days. Now I always wear safety glasses, I have sun glasses and clear glasses for when it gets darker.
  10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Boots only and all employees must wear boots!

Rockys 95.00 A pair