1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

t.v. commercial?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodzilla, Nov 18, 2003.

1. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I'm not looking to do it at this point, but I was wondering if anyone else has. The reason I am asking is because a local t.v. station called me yesterday wondering if I'd be interested in running commercials. It sounds kind of expensive but might be worth it. The salesman said for a ten second commercial during the morning news was around $35 per run depending upon package. The same commercial during evening news would be $250 a run. Other packages are available from 5 second to 30 second commercials. Then there's the whole production cost which would probably be way too much. Just wondering if anyone has tried this before and had any success. It would get a lot of exposure, but is it worth it?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

actually that price to me doesn't seem that bad. Think about the amount of coverage that you are getting
  3. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I didn't think the price was that bad either, well it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. the only thing I'm worried about is the cost of making the commercial. Like filming & editing. Plus what would I put in there. Not my ugly mug. I want to get jobs not scare them away.

I remember a couple years ago a friend of mine with an asphalt company had commercials on t.v. I'll have to ask him if they worked.

Like you said the exposure would be great. Probably better than my $189 a month yellow pages ad I just took out. I got a deal on that also. Was suppose to be around $540 a month. A little bigger than a business card size with full color. New business incentives plus I waited till the last week.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends, if you have a big enough outfit and are willing to run all over the TV coverage area doing estimates and then the same doing the work, it may be worthwhile.

Then again, how many people that you would consider as possible clients, are setting around in the morning watching the TV news?

TV station must be having problems filling that time slot with sponsors to have salesman cold calling and pitching it.;)
  5. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

yeah, I dont know how they got a hold of my number. Unless he got it from the Chamber of Commerce. The only other place would be from fliers or business card. Or maybe from the yellow pages salesman. You would think in the Madison area (capitol of WI over 200,000 people in the city, close to 500,000people in the county, not to mention the surrounding counties) they wouldn't be hard up for sponsors
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thats a good point Rustic, never thought about that
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like a good idea for that price, just depends how far it goes. May be a very big area, alot of which you dont do. Is this your first time in the yellow pages? They do excellent for me. Mine is about $400 a month, and well worth it.
  8. BMGLandscape

BMGLandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

i thought about the commercial deal but i do just fine with my 149.00 add in the yellow pages.its a inch and a half 13 line add works great
  9. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

I have a friend that owns a business that makes animated commercials for a variety of companies. They are extremely catchy to the eye. The rates that you spoke of seem ok to me. If you wish to see some of the work I am talking about go to www.art-barn.com.
  10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Sodzilla,

Here is a quote from this post.

"Cable TV Commercial,

We were servicing the local cable news station owners properties and let myself be talked into a 30 second spot commercial. The commercial itself was excellent and well produced, and had it running something like 30 times a weekend for 8 or 10 weekends. Cant remember the exact details or cost but yielded zero calls for new work.

Still got a lot of pride seeing my name and face and tv while the ad was running."