t-zone trial

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dgw, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

with the t-zone the tops are brown and the stems are curled and turning dark red

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

On what kind of grass? Cool season or bermuda? On bermuda, metsulfuron is a very good control for oxalis. It seems as though the product hangs around until there is water. Based on the AIs in Surge, I would expect mostly a top kill of oxalis. If I want a root kill of oxalis, that usually is provided by high rate dicamba, triclopyr or metsulfuron. If the turf is tolerant, T Zone would be another option because it has a high rate of triclopyr ester.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

greendoctor,

I think by looking at location:__________,___ that for the most part, we are all talking about cool season grass. But your info is good to know!

The drought issue is very important. Most plants slow down their metabolism in stressful conditions. To a point, even crabgrass!

Great info guys!

4. dgw

from OH

5. dgw

from OH

yea , even the label recommends a good watering 24 hours before and after app

but we all know what the chances of that are in most cases

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget no mowing 3 days prior, and 3 days after!!! lol

7. dgw

from OH

i leave it in large lettering with the invoice , thats as far as i can go:hammerhead:

8. greendoctor

In cool season lawns, my choice would be straight Turflon Ester or the premix T Zone. Of course, the time to catch this is in spring. If we are talking about persistent infestations of oxalis, it has always been my policy to broadcast and tank mix Gallery into whatever I am using as the postemergent treatment for it. I am well aware that we are talking about some expensive herbicides. However, clients are aware that my programs priced to include the premium products that do the job and control the weeds that the other service providers have not controlled.

9. dgw

from OH

greendoctor , have you heard of an app of dimension in the fall and then the normal one in the spring helping severe cases of oxalis

10. greendoctor

No. I do not depend on the grassy weed preemergents for broadleaf weed control. Having said that, there was a zoysia lawn on an estate that always had a problem with crabgrass and broadleaf weeds taking over in the period between December and March. I mixed Dimension and Gallery in the fertilizer application in November. It has been cold, cloudy, windy and raining hard from December till now. Perfect weather for weeds to take over, impossible weather for me to spray in. I saw the lawn in early June. No weeds. I used 1 lb Gallery DF and 10 oz Dimension 40 WP per acre.