1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

t-zone trial

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dgw, Jun 27, 2011.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

fescue, blue and mixes of the two. i never have issues untill it is a dry period. i am too long ago to remember if triclopyr has any truf damage in those conditions?
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Cool season turf in hot, dry conditions. I would advise not applying anything. Especially if they are going through heat dormancy. Triclopyr is safer in cool weather. Even I stop spraying if it is over 90 and excessively humid. Otherwise I will have fried grass and vapor damaged trees and shrubs to deal with.
  3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

for the most part, we dont have bad infestations of any weeds, but the ones there are can be hard to get a good kill in dry conditions. again, it really is about proper spraying conditons that are rarely there. i do try to take advantage of it though when possible.

so, what could be better on oxalis and sedges during dry other than surge at max rate and a good surfactant?
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Straight Dicamba for the oxalis. Sedgehammer for the sedges. Those are the two products I have not had any problems with in hot, dry weather.
  5. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

update, all oxalis sprayed is completely gone!

the violet is still there , but hurting pretty bad
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I sprayed a few lawns with oxalis/woodsorrel with straight Trimec Classic last Friday. It was mid eighties and fairly humid. Checked some of those lawns last night, and surprisingly the TC was knocking the oxalis down. I would say probably 50-75% kill. Not bad for something that is not supposed to put a kill on oxalis.

That said, I am switching to TZone for any future outbreaks of oxalis. That, or Momentum FX2 if it is over 75-80% or so.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You should use Trimec or T-Zone at maximum label rate for oxalis and the tough weeds. Oxalis and some tough weeds are hard to wet. You should include a surfactant (as much as you want--no regulations). Of course, surfactant can be costly, except it is cheap in spot spraying and low volume situations.
    Try to spray all weeds when they are young and growing fast--rather than mature at flowering or going to seed.

LAWN ESCAPE LawnSite Member

T-Zone Herbicide works great for Oxalis and Creeping Charlie control (also known as ground ivy).

I applied T-Zone at the 1.5 oz/1,000 sq ft rate and got excellent results. Also according to the universities, fall is an excellent time to control Creeping Charlie.

For wild violets: The T-Zone label says *** For best results, apply in the spring when wild violets are blooming or apply a late fall application followed by a spring application. http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/T-Zone-SL.pdf

For spring applications to "blooming" wild violets, the late April or early May is the best timing.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

SEE Creeping Charlie (Ground Ivy) pictures:
    SEE Oxalis pictures:

Untreated and 14 days (both weeds) after treatment with T-Zone.

MidTownDemo 09-29-09 010.jpg

10-12-2009 049.jpg

MidTownDemo 09-29-09 036 smaller untreated.jpg

10-12-2009 Oxalis 015 smaller.jpg
  9. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

nice , lawn escape, thanks guys

DA- i found trimec can be deceiving with oxalis , it will suppress it but thats all ive gotten

i run 992 in my 120 gallon tank at 1.20z per k , with a surfactant and have had no kill on oxalis

now that i know t-zone will kill oxalis, i picked up a pound of dry drive 75

im going to mix t-zone and drive in my spot backpacks in hopes of creating the ultimate spot spray solution

i will document a few difficult to control weeds

let me know if there are any requests
  10. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

We use T-Zone in the fall-late fall. We don't use in high temps cause it is ester based. Volitization can occur with higher temps, high humidy, & light-no wind. Tricropyr works good in the fall, cause in the fall weeds are transfering all their energy to the roots. Works pretty good on creeper & violets. We always use LI700 in our tank mixes.

For crabgrass, we use Solitare. It has sulfentrazone (also in t-zone) & quinclorac (also in drive) in it, so it kills weeds & crabgrass. Nice little bottle of dry with a scoop that we put in backpacks.