1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

T140 or ASV RC50?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by docholiday, Sep 24, 2007.

1. docholiday

docholiday LawnSite Member

Well this is my first post,and its probably going to be a duesy.
    I am going to buy a ctl soon, i have 2 dealer choices
    1 bobcat
    2 asv
    i used a T140 a few weekends ago and it got the job done nicely.
    but the rc 50 seems to be a great machine also,
    in your folks experince which machine is going to be the one to buy?
    both of the dealers are fantastic, just which machine is better.
  2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

There are several threads titled ctl vs skidloader. I have an ASV RC30 and love it. Although it is small, it packs quite a punch, traction wise. There are a few videos at Mabie Bros equipment.com, as well as a u-tube match up between a ASV and a Bobcat, I think. The ASV wiped out the Bobcat, even though it weighs less and has less horsepower than the unit it was pushing. The long and short of it is that the ASV has better balance, and a suspended (NOT rigid) track system, that allows it to flex a little, and stay in better contact with the ground. Good Luck, and welcome to the site!:waving:
  3. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should definitely demo both of them. Preferably on the same job in similar conditions. I own a RC50 and in my opinion it is much quicker, more productive and smoother than the even larger and heavier T180. I used to sell Bobcats, still own one (S220) and personally use my RC50 almost 90% of the time. Demo, demo, demo.

You should visit the website to view the video that DiyDave speaks about. It shows the RC50 pushing a T250 backwards in the snow even though it has close to 30hp less and weighs 3,000lbs lighter. It should give you some idea of the traction it can put to the ground. Good luck.
  4. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

I own an RC-50 and believe for it's weight/size it delivers alot of pushing power and is very nimble and quick. I think the videos the others referred to point out the difference between a suspended undercarriage vs solid undercarriage in slippery conditions. Given your location, I assume your machine will see some snow clearing duty and some really muddy conditions with some frequency, in which case the suspended undercarriage maybe worth the extra replacement cost's. I've seen others post here that their solid undercarriage ctl's don't maintain traction in the snow. Good Luck!
  5. docholiday

i saw a video of a sr 80 pushing a t 250 backwards in the snow, i didnt find one with the rc50 pushing a t 250.
  6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

7. docholiday

thanks for the intel, very interesting video.
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i like asv's they are good machines.

it really depends on what you do with them. I have a friend that had a asv rc60 and it would not pick up a pallet of sod, or block.

as for the video, the main difference is the track pattern. the asv has a much better track design that puts more track surface on hard ground that the bobcat. that is why it pushed it like it did. it could not do that to the bobcat if the tracks were the same. the track design is not as agressive and is not as good in mud, etc.
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

An rc60 won't pick up a pallet of sod??
  10. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason the ASV wins, is that the tracks can flex, a little, under load, and stay in contact with the ground. Maybe that the track tread is better, too.