T230 problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nriddle77, Jul 16, 2005.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a t-230 trimmer that is about 3 years old. Lately, it has started to vibrate more than normal. It seems to be the worst at around half throttle. It vibrates so much that it makes my hands start to go numb. Any ideas as to the problem here?

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If nothing is broken off of the head itself, I would suspect (1) a broken centrifigal clutch spring, (2) deteriorated bearings in the clutch drum assembly, (3) wear in the bevel gears in the gear head or(4) worn bearings in the gear head. Inspection will be necessary to determine the source. Judging from what you have indicated I would first inspect drum and clutch assembly. Just a couple of questions for you. Do you run the unit with the shroud to control string length? Do you keep the gear head lubed on a regular schedule?

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Or the shaft could be bent.

4. nriddle77

I do have the guards on which control the string length. As for keeping it lubed properly, that is something I've not keep up with very well.

5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote is a broken clutch spring. Does the trimmer head turn when the unit is at idle? Test it by seeing if you can stop the head from spinning on the lawn - without stalling the engine. If the head won't stop without stalling out the engine, your clutch spring(s) are broken.

6. nriddle77

It does not spin during idle.
    I've seen others trimmers do that, and now I know why.
    Thanks for your reply.