1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

T270 problem need help fast!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

ok my shindaiwa is acting up, really badly, here is what its doing... its not starting as easily as it has been in the past, and it feels different, lots more vibration, but the major problem is there is some kind of resistance occuring that's making it have problems spinning the head, especially when i start putting it in grass and weedeating with it, sounds like its bogging down...that's the main problem. when i turn it off and spin the head w/ my hand you can tell its not spinning freely there is some kinda of fricition there....also when i flip her upsidedown to edge, i loose ALOT of power....and well i have yards to mow today!!!! so i need some help rapidly, thank-you
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Check to see if any fishing line or string got wrapped around the head.

See if the Spark Arrester is clogged, one phillips screw holds it in the exhaust hole.

If that is clean or not installed, it could be the exhaust ports are closing up from carbon, pull the muffler off and clean the port.

I don't think yours is old enough for carbon build up, but if it's over a year old, it could be the problem.

Also check your gas filter to see if it is clogging up. That will make it loose power if it's not getting gas.

Also check for any possible places where it could be sucking air. This will cause it to not get enough gas.

See if any of these things help. :)
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Check spark plug and as Eric said gas filter. These are things we have to change on our T270 when some of your symptoms arise. Plus make sure you are greasing the fitting at the head.
  4. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

well i kept thinking it was a problem with the clutch because it would bog down when i put it in grass, so i sprayed some lube on it and it fixed it for about 5 min, then i took the WHOLE thing apart and found my problem, the spring on the clutch was not there =( so i hope my dealer can come up with one today....
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If the spring broke, I bet your clutches are worn out too. Replace the whole clutch assembly which is about $25 for parts.
  6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Easy way to check if that spring breaks is to stop the head from spinning while it is running. If the spring is broke it will stall.