T270 vs. Stihl fs110

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Can anybody compare these two units as far as power and reliability are concerned? The 270 is more expensive, but does it generate more uesable power? Are the 270's epa friendly, with goofy carbs and catalysts and things that make them inferier to the older counter parts?

I want a good all around trimmer that can hack down some series brush. I also want to run without a trimmer gaurd without wearing out the clutch or engine prematurely.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks
    Jay

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my shindaiwa

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always ran Stihl so I cannot compare the two.

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

the stihl's biggest disadvantage IMO is that it is not a variable speed machine any more. It will pose problems when you come up to trees and the such.

The FS 110 is not the machine you are looking for IMO. I just did another article for TURF on this exact machine. Fine for slow to med growth lawns, not good for tall stuff. It is somewhere between big trimmer, and el cheapo trimmer. You will not get the power out of this to really run it without the guard.

T270? Im not a great names guy. That is .........? Tanaka?

I would look at trimmers in the higher 30's or even 40 cc range if you want a good trimmer that can do small stuff, but will also handle the big stuff when you need it.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You are WAY off base on this. Yes the 110 is harder to get it slowed down for delicate work around trees. But...power. You are wrong. This is one of the most powerful machines on the market. Its actually hard to use on light and medium growth, but a monster when it comes to heavy growth. This thing is a torque monster. It will plow thru anything. Even thick brush with ease.
    el cheapo?? Hardly. Its an extremely powerful machine in a FS85 body.

This is a serious machine in regular trimmer clothes. I bought one in the spring. While it is a tremendous machine, I do use the FS85's for my regular weekly work. Lake banks, heavy growth, brush work, etc gets the bad azz boy of 110.

6. Acute Cut

my trimmers are i think 40 0r 42 cc. Compare them and you will see what i mean. Also, different grass types require different things. Our grass is thick, wet, and can grow upwards of 6 inches a week.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So what you are saying is you wrote an article in turf putting this machine down but then say you know its different in different areas of the country? So to trim what you normally do you need very large trimmers? Ok, good enough, but most people don't need that big of a trimmer.

So back to the original point. If a person is looking for a "regular" trimmer with tons of power for its size, the 110 is more than enough. Maybe to much in some cases.

8. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Good all around trimmer............It's hard to beat the FS110. I bought one about a month ago and use it for normal finished turf trimming and use it for retaining pond banks. This is a great all around machine. IMO anything in the 40-50cc range is too large for finighed turf. I have an old RedMax 55cc machine and it is a power monster but it gets very little use due to the weight, harness and handelbars (Got to have them in the 50cc league) so normally my first pick off the rack is the FS110. But what do I know, everybody that works with me uses Echo.

9. Acute Cut

actually 65Hoss i wrote a very good article on it. I did not rip it apart but did annotate things i think could be improved upon as i have done with every other article so far that everyone seems to agree with me on. I have yet to not give props where props are due.

I also did not compare it to bigger trimmers and i DID say what i thought the trimmer was good for. ALso, in reguards to the el cheapo comment i made, i said this was the MIDDLE of the road between the monster trimmers AND the El Cheapo trimmers.

10. Lakeside

Lakeside LawnSite Member

i have a 85R that is amazing. it has plenty of power for typical trimming, and has done well in taller weeds. i have the 110 stick edger b/c it has more low end torque than the 85, and i dont have to carry it as much. the 110 as a trimmer would get exhausting faster, and has power i would never need...