T300

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Jul 9, 2005.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I have found a used Bobcat T300 for sale, $34,xxx is what the guy is asking for it. It has 1000 hours on it, new tracks, 2 new wheel motors, bobtach, heat/ac, industructable bucket and a set of forks. I think the guy will deal on it, but what is it worth? Thanks

2. Caribbean Breeze

Caribbean Breeze LawnSite Member

Wanabe,

The prices sounds decent to me, if you can get 1 -2k off, then you have a good deal. Make sure to inspect the machine properly before buying it.
    The T300 is a very rugged machine that once you maintain it, you will be very happy with compared to Cat or ASV.

Good Luck,
    CB

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If it only has 1000 hours on it and already has had new wheel motors and tracks, it has had the crap beat out of it and I would question how soon it will be until some other major parts go south.
    There is a reason why manufacturers should not combine rubber and steel as most glide rail compact track loaders use....The design was intended for use with mini excavators. And, they work well in those applications. When you combined rubber coated steel on a higher speed machine like a T-300, the temperatures rise on the rubber and will separate and self destruct the tracks. Basically, the machine is well designed, the track system has alot of unnecessary premature failures.
    We have a huge family owned rental store here with 130 Bobcat skids steers. And, when rubber track drives came on, the owner began getting a few of them, now he has 23. The most common problem he has it track to steel separation between 600 and 1100 hours. He has that cost built into the rental but what a waste. You are far better off going with a track that is either all steel, or all rubber, but not both. That's why I love our 257B's. they just run and run and run. Over 1800 hours on one and all we ever have had go down is a turbo, and they came out to the site I was at with a brand new machine for us to use, found steel had entered the oil, and gave us a brand new engine. Then we had a hydro line O-ring, and, Cat service was out 35 minutes after I called them.

Anyhow, back to your question....At 34K, that machine is very marginal. And the premature replacement of the parts you describe really would have me concerned if I was considering putting it in my fleet. You can get a new one for 50K give or take with a full warrantee. Bobcat dealers won't be able to service you like Cat dealers do, but, at least you have that warrantee to cover that bill in the night. After 1000 hours, even with all that stuff, it is a $25K machine at most.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

New drive motors at 1,000 hrs.? That doesn't sound right. I'd look at the machine very carefully to insure that there isn't something else wrong with it. Obviously it's had the piss beaten out of it or no care was taken to do any sort of maintenance and that might have been why the drive motors went out. If the machine has a new paint job on it, run away quickly. That's a sure fire sign that it was beat on. I'd put that machine through it's paces before cutting a check, the price doesn't sound too bad if everything checks out fine.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

That machine has been abused, caution Will Rodgers!

6. StoneStacker

StoneStacker LawnSite Member
    from OR

I think that it's extremely important to inspect all used machines very closely, especially the new track loaders. On another note, I agree with Uniscaper concerning the Bobcat track life. I have spoken at great length with the Bobcat dealer in the Portland area, and once with the dealer in Eugene. I will preface by saying that I appreciated their honesty (since they sell Bobcat), but they confirm what Uniscaper has said about "mini-excavator" tracks on track loaders. They don't last much longer than 1,000 hours, AND you have to change the $350-400 sprocket with them. All of the rubber-tracked machines have had track problems, my friends first ASV HD4530? got life of about 1000 hours too, but his latest 4810 tracks have over 1,600 hours, and he's looking into the big ASV with the high flow now.

I'll finish by saying that each of us has our opinions on what machine brand we like. i'm not trying to start a flame war, but Caribbean Breeze seems heavily biased towards the Bobcat, Uniscaper likes the CAT, and my only experience is that of my rental experience and that of my friend who has had ASVs, a CAT 267, and a T200. Good shopping.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Takeuchi tracks run metal against metal.

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that the green stuff you dip sushi in?

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Wrong thread?