Tach for Diesel?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CCWKen, Dec 2, 2004.

1. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Any one know of a low budget tachometer that can be used on a diesel engine?

Also; What is the maximum angle that you can run those fiberglass flex plates (drive shaft) and not have them come apart?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would assume that any tach could be used on a diesel engine. Your dealer probibly has some for about $30-$40 for a digital tach. That is about what they sell for anywhere.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont think most any tach will work because you are going to need one that picks up a pulse from the fuel line or from a sensor off the fly wheel, prob gonna have something from the engine manufacturer

4. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Standard tachs won't work. Diesels don't have ignition systems thus no pulsed reference signal.

I'm still looking! I may have found one. It senses a pulse from the injector line. $65 beats the $150+ options I've been seeing.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

That "pulse" type tech may only be for EFI diesels, you need to check before you buy it.

6. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

You will probably laugh at me but those little stick on vibratachs are more accurate than you would think.

7. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

They also make the electric ones that plug into the alternator on the engine and based on output, can tell you RPM. I have looked at those for my Steiner.

8. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

9. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Thanks Weve. That's the one I spotted. It uses the mechanical pulse ripple from the injector pump to an injector. Smart idea! I wonder if it works? The method seems to be used in a few different products. I've got a few queries out on it.

10. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Yep Joel, heard of those too. The problem is that you have to have a center tapped alternator (made for a tach) or have the tap wired in. Besides, they're more than I want to spend for a tach. :D