Tach/hour meter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 25, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Was thinking about getting an aftermarket tach/hour meter combo. Supposedly you just wrap a wire around the spark plug wire and mount the meter. Does anyone use this kind of hour meter? How well does it work?

Thanks for any opinions,

Joel B.

2. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

We've got one on our 36 exmark. Hour meter self sticks, one wire to ground and the other wraps around the plug wire several times. Doesn't sound like it would work, but it does. I have no idea what brand it is. I bought it at one the local lawn mower shops. Cost around $8.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a tiny tach and works well http://tinytach.com/tinytach.html

I also put it on my 36" Exmark TTHP. When the engine is on, it read the rpm. When engine is off, it read the hours. The only thing I don't like about it is that it only reads in hours and not tenths also.

MATT

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

heres a pic

tinytach.jpg

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have a tiny-tach. It is a hour meter and tachometer in one. It's digital, which removes any worries about analog numbers sticking. One wire wraps around the sparkplug wire and the other is a ground that can be fastened anywhere you can get a good ground contact. I was able to hide all my wires within the wiring harness of my mower for a cleaner look. Hope this helps.;)

6. sendec has a good one expensive but good has aligator clippers instead of haveing to wrap the lead around the spark plug wire.

www.sendec.com

7. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

anyone ever try a tiny tach on equipment that runs in cold weather, ie snowblower?

how do they work?

8. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have this one and paid $40 I use it mainly use it for the tach feature.

I also have this one, it reminds you every 25HRS to change the engine oil which doesn't apply to most of us, but it measures in 10ths and is cheaper.

9. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never tried the tach meters, but I do use the digital hour meters that wraps around the spark plug wire. I bought it at sears. I forget how much they cost, but I think it was cheap compared to others I have looked at. Has digital display with tenths. Just coil the wire around spark plug wire and mount meter.

Here's a pic of the hour meter on my walkbehind and in the corner is a pic of the wire wrapped around spark plug wire.

hourmeter.jpg

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Tiny-Tach on my Lazer HP. The only reason I bought it was for the tach feature. I have been comparing the hour meter of the Tiny-Tach to the Lazers factory hour meter and it is very accurate.