Tachometer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Sep 29, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

When we purchase a machine immediately, we install a tiny tach. All our equipment, from 21-inch mowers to 72-inch z-turns gets tached out to 3750 with the blades spinning.
    All power equipment manufactures should make a tachometer standard issue, on at least commercial walks and z-turns. But sadly, very few include a tachometer on their mowers.

If you do not have a tachometer on your equipment, I would recommend you installing one.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I've wondered about that too. they should have a tiny tach where the hour meter goes, and let it run off the battery, gives you the hours when the engine is off, and gives you the rpms while it is on.

btw, I would be afraid to run my equipment at 3750. I've got all of them governed for 3600, and usually run them between 3450-3550.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tach came standard on the Lesco Z.
    The CrewBoss meter is nice.
    Hour meter/Service reminder engine off.
    Tach engine on.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I love the tiny-tach meters too!

My machines that actually have hour meters are the mechinical type and either stop working or get dirt in them and I can't read the numbers anymore!!!

I agree on the rpms as well. I run around 3800 on everything. ( I will push 4,000. But that's my limit!) Thousands of hours logged on several Kohler engines and not a hint of failure.

I had to ORDER one from my dealer when he sells these cheapo hourmeters with no tach for 12 bucks. They all said I was nuts for wanting to spend $45 for a tiny-tach.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If a said engine puts out X amount of hp at a certain RPM I see no point in exceeding that factory specified RPM with the blades engauged. It's just harder on the engine, And I've seen my share blown from this.

6. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

All my Cub Tanks came with them. They are a must....

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

All of our most recent equipment purchases, the Kawasaki engines have come set from the factory with the blades spinning 3750.The last several z-turns purchases, we didn’t have to adjust the rpm’s.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I put tiny tachs on all machines as well.

9. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

All Bad Boys come with an LCD hourmeter/tach. It is a nice feature and very helpful in getting the most from your equipment.

Have a great day,
    Doc

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Restro, these guys arent worried about max power, they are worried about increased blade tip speed. Raising the rpms a hundred or two will, in some cases, significantly increase the quality of cut.