1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tail Gate Assist ???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawntime Mowers, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

Just built a tail gate assist for my trailer. PVC pipe, garage door springs etc.
    I only have it on one side of the gate and it does a pretty good job with just one. Less than half the weight now.....good enough for me.

I'm wondering if I don't have a list assist on both sides if this will cause henge problems in the future. Twisting or uneven wear etc......Any thoughts? :confused:

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well, never mind it affecting the hinges. id be more worried about what will happen if that spring snaps. PVC pipe is not going to stop flying metal. just my .02

3. Lawntime Mowers

from KC MO

Ahhhhhhh garage door springs have been mounted on doors without much of a guard since forever.....My only concern would be the cable snapping, that would certainly be a dangerous scenario that a tube of any material isn't going to help guard against.

4. Lawntime Mowers

from KC MO

Here's a few photos.....nothing special really.......same old song and assist.

gateassist01.jpg

gateassist02.jpg

5. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you find the pulley?

6. Lawntime Mowers

from KC MO

Regular Hardware store. It's actually two pulley's welded together top to top.
    I also had a frame made to hold two pulley's but decided to use this one to see how it worked out. Here's a close up shot of both.

pulley02.jpg

pully01.jpg

7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you get the spring from? Are there any specifics on them? Im not that familiar with grage door spings

8. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

That looks good, I don't think that you would have too much of a problem with it twisting on you. I would try to add another one on the other side just so the gate was easier to open and close. If you are worried about it twisting you can assist the gate to the ground and back up on the opposite side of the springs.

Walter

9. Lawntime Mowers

from KC MO

10. Lawntime Mowers

from KC MO

One of the Gate assist Co. had a little disclaimer that said to use both to avoid hinge problems etc. I thought it could be a sales gimmick but not sure......Thanks for the input.