Tail gate mounted Leaf Vacs-how to settup.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in the market to buy a Billy Goat leaf vac that is suposed to be mounted to a tail gate of a truck. I have seen many guys mounting them on the back of flat bed trailers built up to be like a enclosed trailer with a half of a tail gate on the back...which has the leaf vac hanging off the tail gate. With a tarp for the top of the trailer. I was just wondering what you guys use as a settup ? the model I was looking at is made buy Billy Goat and has a 13 HP Honda motor. I beleive the price is 2,300 for a 10 Hp honda its 1,800
  2. casey

casey Guest

I bolt one on the back of an open trailer in the fall & blow into an enclosed truck bed. Would be nice to have a dump body on the truck but most of our leaves are sucked by the city.
    Thought the BG Honda was an 11 hp. The 16 hp would be the best bet. More power=less time.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a sweet rig man, you can do some damage with those, huh? :)

The only thing with a setup with a tow behind is your limited with it on.

I think the ideal setup is a dump truck (1 to 5 ton) with the vac mounted on the frount (plow mount works well) and blows into an enclosed box on the dump bed. With this setup you can still tote your trailer around and have your mowers and equipment with you, i.e., blowers, back packs, sprayers, etc. Its a much more versitile setup in my opinion.
  4. Yes Guido we can. I got tired of clogs and filling the truck and not getting all of the leaves at a house. So I went big. With that truck we still go to the dump about 10-15 times a day. That's full of leaves, about 37yrds of them. I have had the smaller ones and found out the hard way they suck bad. We pick up well ground up leaves anyways, so the little ones don't do as well. They like the leaves to be not mulched up or they clog a lot. If they are wet don't count on picking them up fast with the little ones you will be unclogging it many times a day. I got that one clogged one time and it was a pain to unclog, but it is the way to go if you have the truck to use it on.

5. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I bought a new Billy goat 11HP Briggs. I cut the tounge off of a small boat trailer, mounted the leaf vac onto the trailer. This way the leaf vac trailer fits on my regular trailer, so I can also bring a mower, push blower etc. When Im ready to suck up the leaves, I unhook the big trailer, & hook up the leaf trailer & vacuum the leaves. By the way, I work alone, this is why I dont mount the vac to the tailgate. Hope this makes sense to you guys.

6. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

I bought the lesco 16hp. tailgate loader with the swingaway hitch. You unlatch the hitch and the loader swings to the side to dump. I would use a trailer if I could but alot of my yards are tight to get in to and the Toyota 1 ton can sneak in alot of places.
  7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: bought a 16 hp lesco tailgat last year, awesome, time saver you name it. i mounted mine a small 4x8 trailor, and had a new rear door fabricted for my F450, with a hole in it, as well as removeable leaf roof for the top of a 12 1/2 ft. rack body. works very well, all i do is unhook the trailor open the doors and dump. T
  8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

does anyone else have pictures?the ones that posted seem very impressive. general grounds what year is your truck? do u keep anything else on the trailer? is this trailer JUST for leaf work?
  9. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: the truck is a 2001, the trailor is also used to transport my wheel blowers in the fall, and in spring i simple remove 4 bolts and it transport my ride on spreader, best $650 i ever spent. when i set it up this fall would be happy to post them. T