1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate assists

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NHLawns, Sep 11, 2002.

1. NHLawns

NHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NH

Anybody use the EZ Gate type gate helper. I am debating on buying one for me and my back, and was wondering if they are any good or could I just rig up something of my own that does the same thing.

Thanks for your input

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

there pretty easy to make your own . all you need to do is go to home depot or lowes buy a garage door replacement spring 150 lb . genie sells them with the cable . then ya need a 6 foot piece of 2 " squre tubing for the spring to ride in .

one way of doing the pullys is like Mats here

ill post a pic of the way i did mine . Mats is a bit better because there is no welding involved
    nice job Mat hope ya dont mind me showing off your gate assit

mats gate assit.jpg
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

No, I don't mind. I tried to post a link to the thread that I posted a few days ago, but I am still learning. Here is another photo from the rear. I used 2" square steel to enclose the spring and cable. If you notice in the bottom left corner is a bolt going through the tube and into the rail. This also holds the end of the spring. Later I would like to find a cap to keep rain out and look a little more professional.

4. P. Nelson

P. Nelson LawnSite Member

They are very easy and inexpensive to build. I don't have my spring riding in a housing and it works well. What a major difference on the amount of weight you have to lift. My advice is to not drill any holes until you're sure everything is going to line up and work properly. You don't want too little tension or too much tension to where the gate slams back.
  5. HarryD

heres mine

6. HarryD

another veiw

7. HarryD

one more almost the same as mats just did my pully set up a bit different

hehe my trailer is as dirty as mats :)

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Can I offer you guys some advise? I have had my own gate assist for 4 years. Ditch the galvanized garage cable. Go with high strand count flexible stainless cable. Use as large as pullies as you can find. And don't leave gate down over night/weekend. And in the closed position there should be very little stress on cables. Why? well the cables will tend to corode at the point where it is bent tightly around pully. The small pullies bend the cable past its recomended bend radius. This causes friction between the strands and wears the galvanized coating off. Takes about a year. I even broke a stainless cable but I think a pully seized and abraded it. My first prototype was a garage spring design, and was before I ever saw any "assists" for sale. Another opportunity lost.

9. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

My assists are basically like the ones shown here. Only main difference is I used a chain to attach the spring to the tubing so I could adjust the tension simply by putting the bolt through a different link in the chain.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I used a 150 lb. spring, but think I should of used somewhere around a 200 lb. When the gate is in the up position, the spring is probably stretched 18", so there is always a lot of tension on the spring.