Tailgate fell OFF!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mortymower, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

Hi, I was going up my tailgate on my lazer hp and i have to go up at an angle when the pavement is uneven to keep from scraping my rear end, and i had my front wheels on the ramp and then i turned slightly and the tailgate slid sideways out of the hinges and fell completely off; with me half on it. This scared the sh** out of me because i thought my hinges had just broken off. Also the tailgate slides everytime i put it down so i have to work it back to raise it up. This all started when i put a little grease in the hinges becuase they squeked like all get out. ANY ideas on how to keep this thing from sliding. Thanks!!

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

DANG BRO! that woudda scared the bee-jezzers outta me too!

I suggest you drill a hole in one hinge pin and then use a hair pin looking clip to slide through the hole in the hinge pin. works for me!

GEO :)

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

weld a little piece of metal to frame that sticks out and keeps gate from coming off. to take gate off in future, you'll probably have to cut that piece off, though.

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

sounds to me like a real good (bad) excuse to buy a nice new trailer to end the season with :) lol

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

drill a hole and put cotter pins in , just in case you ever have to take them off i would not weld them.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I thought I just said that.... but I guess you said it better!

GEO :waving:

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

just wanted to clairify those " hair pin clips " lol:) i also have them in mine .

8. Mortymower

But the hinge pin doesn't stick out any for me to drill through, does yours or am i just not looking at it right

9. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

As the previous post mentions weld a piece of angle on the side of the hinge that slides out. It works I had the same problem. Took 15 min and cost 0 , had scrape angle iron laying around.

10. Mortymower

but i need to be able to remove the gate