Tailgate lift assist in Northern Tool catalog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Feb 26, 2004.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sitting here looking at the new Northern Tool catalog, and was just wondering. Am I more beneficial to buy a lift assist for $199 and put it on? Or am I better off making one?

Theres some threads on here with some great pictures of tailgate assists that guys have made.

My thinking is, if I buy it, then all I have to do is slap it on and it works. If I make it, then theres a lot of room for for mistakes. But it may be a lot cheaper to make it then to shell out $129 for one side. Or $199 for both sides

2. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

I'd save the headache and buy one.
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

As a safety issue, its better to buy one that has been tested and proven that its safe enough to sell. If you make one and it breaks and hurts someone, you are 100% reliable for it. Just spend the extra money for your protection.
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What size is your gate? I use 1 of the EZ-Gate lifts on my 5'x10' trailer and it works great.

Depending on the size, you may be able to get away with just one.

As much as I like mine, there actually is a design out there that I like better. It's a small torsion spring (or two on larger gates) that mounts at the bottom of the gate. I have no idea who makes them or where to get them, I've only seen pics of them on the net.

The reason I like it, is because it's out of the way. It doesn't take up any rail space on the trailer. And on my small trailer, the E-Z Gate takes up a good bit of one rail. Less room for various racks.

Hmmm, but now that I say that, I wonder how that torsion spring design affects being able to remove the gate when needed?
    I wish there was a local place that offered them, so I could see it in person.
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I used some of the pics I found here, spent 1.5 hours including buying the materials, and built my own. $129 or $199 is a rip off....I spent $27.....

At the time I had more time than money.....

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Hudson trailers come with that torsion spring, but it makes it a PITA to change (I think). I bought a 7ton trailer last year with ramps for my Bobcat/mini exv. Now that I want to put the gate on this spring, I found the ramps and gates aren't interchangeable because the gate requires different mount than the ramps.

So.... I'm building a ramp gate this weekend.
  7. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Thats all the time it took you? It worked ok?

This is a picture of what my tail gate looks like.

8. Clark Landscaping

Clark Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would like to buy torsion springs if any one know where they can be bought please post a link or a phone number, sweet car by the way.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Iam in with the idea to buy one which is tested and proven , if mine broke and hurt someone if it was homemade i would feel like killing myself then , i bought a ballard gate assist and only use one on my 14 ft trailer with a dang heavy gate . Its been on there 3 years and havent had a problem with it yet
  10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I bought an EZ Gate for my trailer last week. Haven't installed it as yet. Just waiting for the 60 degree weather. I bought mine at an area trailer manufacturer for $150. Something you might check out around where you live. He bought a 100, and probably got a better price. Direct from Ballard they are $169 plus $20 shipping. I don't know they Northern price, but bought my Fastraps for a couple of bucks less each than direct through Northern.