tailgate ramp for pickup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by prizeprop, Mar 11, 2008.

1. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever used one of these?I was thinking of getting one to use on my truck so I could do some lawns while my crew is out with the trailer.It would be good to transport mowers to the shop also.I figured I could do some of the lawns a little out of the way. I have another trailer but hate pulling it and this would be more convienant.Any input or experience would be appreciated. http://www.discountramps.com/tailgate_ramp.htm

2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I really like the idea, I'm thinking about doing that myself...I just hate the price, hell you can get a little trailer for the same price or cheaper...but....I wanna get away from pulling the trailer all the time! Six to one/half dozen to another...

3. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

it looks like you can't close the tailgate with that one, smaller objects could roll right out of your truck. i have seen them before that actually replace your tailgate, if i come across the link i will post it.

here it is

http://www.tailgateramps.com/

4. prizeprop

I like that one also,and seems better.I might go ahead and order after a little more research.It's $200 more but thats not an issue.Have to see how much shipping also.

5. prizeprop

Plus I can just go home and park it in the driveway for the next day and not have to go back to the yard and unload everything.

6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked at the tailgate ramp and I think I am going to order one. those are sweet no more risking my neck getting the wb off the back of the truck

7. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

8. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

ok I just read about the idea with ramp ends let me say this. You are crazy. they might be ok for ocasional work but after last spring I will never never never never never make that mistake again. I have been operating z mower for years and had the bright idea of saving a few bucks. I but some ramp ends for the 12 inch wide boards and built some ramps. it was all well and good untill the 8th time i backed the z down the ramps a sftey pin poped and the ramp slid out from under the rear tier guess what happened.the z and I did a back flip off the truck I thought as I was going over how will I explain this to my wife. well I was real luck and did only minor damage tothe mower and to myself with a skint elbow I was lucky. You know what makes it worse every thing in my body told me this was a horrible idea but I was trying to be cheap. You will never catch me doing that again. If you think I am the only one that has had something like that happen just start asking around I talked with a guy who had a similar incident with a wb and broke his leg over it along with messing the mower up. He was no newbie either had over 15 years with those types of mowers. So go ahead and think we are crazy for wanting to spend a little up front but do not cry when you dump your machine and you spend 1500 on the emergency room sowing up a couple of lacerations. the tailgare ramp is something I have been thinking about ever since that time and man I am glad someone build one becsue it will save me alot of headacke doing it myself.

9. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how you guys do this. This is Nuts!:hammerhead:

The actual ramp that is fixed and part of your truck is a much smarter and SAFER way than simply using the cheap ramps you see at the retail stores and for four wheelers. I feel uneasy just loading my four wheeler sometimes, I can't even fathom trying to load, unload a wb or a z!:dizzy:

Personally, I worked for a company in Atlanta during the Olympics in '96 and we converted two trucks that pulled trailers on a regular basis to this type of set up. The ramps folded up and replaced the tailgate. We hauled anything from a 36 to a 48 in them. We did this b/c those crews did work downtown Atlanta, and driving a trailer downtown was a royal pain, not to mention parking. This way, the crew was able to park in a regular designated loading zone in a regular parking spot. They could manuver the vehicle just as a normal truck. It was great! Theft was a concern b/c of no racks, but everything was chained or cabled to the ramp (mesh and steel). I think this is perfect for that scenerio. However, if you are simply doing neighborhood mowing, I think a trailer is the best and safest way to go!

10. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Check out our ramps at www.HandyRamp.com

They use the existing latching and hinging mechanisms so no alterations are needed on the truck.

Usually, a 15 second install.

695.00 for pickup models