Tailgate salter/backblade combo

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by PINEISLAND1, Dec 29, 2000.

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

I have decided to pick up a tailgate salter for a couple small clients who have requested occasional salting.

Does anyone have experience mounting a tailgate model with their back blade in place? Will I be able to drop salt between the bumper and the back blade with it fully raised? Or is it possible to mount it differently to accomplish the task?

I really dont want to drop the backblade before salting.

2. Alan

Alan Member

Snoman Snowplows has a model that is made specifically for use with a hopper spreader. I have to assume it lifts high enough the clear the material stream off the spreader.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know where exactly you are, but there are quite a few companiesaround GR that do have that exact same setup. I think most have their spreader mounted high enough that they can spread over top or just lower the backblade alittle so it doesn't interfere with spreading. There is even one with a V-box and a back blade--I don't know if he lengthened his back blade arms or what to make this work. An added bonus is you don't have to worry about smashing your spreader against a snowbank because your plow will hit it first.

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Thanks, Mark.

I have seen one guy here on the North end who does it, but I haven't got a chance to look closely at his rig.

I guess I just need to get it in the shop and start experimenting. I just wasn't sure how far the tailgate models spread, and if they threw it out or just dropped it down. My back blade is from B@B in Byron Center, and it does lift fairly high. It probably will work dropping it between the blade and bumper.

If the snow would just give me half a break I would figure something out!