Take All Root Rot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Jul 21, 2008.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Just finished this month's application. One of the St. Augustine lawns just developed a 3' circle of Take-All Root Rot. Does anyone know what would cause this? Irrigation is as it has been all years, same fertilizer (I know that ammonium nitrate could promote it). The only thing a little different was the humidity and heat was a little more than last month. Seems a littlle strange.
    I did put a little Cleary's on it with high pressure, but don't expect much to happen. There was a few pieces of grass left here and there.
    Any thought or suggestions where or why the Take All Root Rot would suddenly show up?
    Thanks
    Roy

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Look around the neighborhood is it elsewhere. Lawn mowers can bring it in from other sites, people can bring it in on their shoes or it could get blown through the air.

I am told that it can wipe out a St Augstine lawn in just a couple of days. We have a couple companies that use our products in the low country they say you can have a nice lawn on Monday and by Friday its just dirt.

We have exellent control with our NPP product at 1 ounce per 1000, it hydrolyzes fungus, basically melts it so it is not your classic fungicide, in fact it is not even marketed as a fungicide just an interesting side effect. In field trials there is new growth in 2 to 3 days. Its as safe as it gets as it is a form of glucosamine

Its marketed as a polyssacharide for drougt resistance and increasing water holding capacity in soil

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks Bill eventhough these are major compona.nts of sugar compound. I'll check out the site.

4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a bit of take-all patch here in TX. I've never seen it transferred mechanically. It is a soil borne disease.

I've never seen it take out a lawn in days either; rather, a slow deterioration over a few weeks when not addressed.

Cleary's and sulfur to start. Biosolids and Ammonium sulfate for fertilizing in the future.
    Eagle also works well. Acidify the soil ASAP

5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Oh! And get Manganese into the soil. The disease affects the plant's ability to take up manganese.

The acidifying fertilizers like 21-0-0 also help free up the manganese that's tied up in high pH soils.

6. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Quiet has given sound, sound advice. Take All is a destructive disease on new Bentgrass putting greens. Apply the Ammonium Sulphate at 1/2 lb a month.

The other huge requirement in disease prevention is aeration. Make sure that lawn is aerated in spring and fall.

Chemical control is going to be rough. The roots are necrotic which will limit there potential to take up the product. These same roots will prevent the plants from taking up moisture and nutrients.

7. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks, Since the area is so small, I'll cut it out and just resod. I'll get most of the soil gone and sterilize it. I've never seen this before and will treat the surrounding grass with Eagle EW as a preventive. I only have a few St. Augustine lawns, most are centipede and hope they are not affected. Strange how it would just be in one spot but fungi is airborne spores.