1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Take back comments about '07 Tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 26, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I just wanted to state for the record that I do take back some of what I said before about the 2007 Tank.

I saw it Friday in person. It looks a lot better in the flesh, that's for sure.

I'm still not nuts (cosmetically) about the yellow parts, as those have changed from last year. But it looks way better in person.

Anyways, it would seem my suggestions on "trivial" things made their way back to CTP... builders of the Tank and Ztwo.

Did away with the trap sticks
    Cleaned up front design for easier dismounts
    ROPS and seatbelt available

Operator comfort

Suspension seating STOCK
    Much nicer foot lift
    Easier to lift deck
    Controls easier to see and reach
    Dual-Size cupholder
    More comfortable sticks
    Seat-to-feet change in ergonomics
    (not sure if the seat position or the footwedge position changed, but better to me)

Design enhancements

Cool new collection system
    Improved belt PTO belt tension idler setup
    Wider stripe roller to match widetrack's better
    Tow hitch
    Better foot platform shape
    Cooler belt operation from new ugly ventilated pulley covers
    Increased protection from new ugly rear guard

Missed touches now

Still using same dumb height adjustment pin
    No new rubber discharge shield
    No change in caster fork rake
    Anti-blowout lip on deck still not a removeable part

Oh, and I think it has got to be a sin that there's not a piece of black diamond plate left on the machine. The diamond plate was like a trademark character. I'm queezy on my stomach. I think I just threw up in my mouth. I'm calling the Gunny over this!
    :usflag: :gunsfirin :blob2:

A TANK should have diamond plate, not something that looks like bullet holes in it.

Oh... and please paint those yellow pulley covers black when you take one home.
  2. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

And, the stoops didn't put a hole over the top of the grease zerks on those ugly yellow pulley covers :-( You would think that some things would be so obvious!!!
  3. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

hey envy, my dealer told me that the rops and seatbelt were standard on the 07. is this true,or have you herd?
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Post a picture.....
  5. Envy Lawn Service

I don't have one I can post, and if I did, in fairness it wouldn't do it justice.
    I was surprised to see how well it looked in person.
    Not great, but it's unfairly flat ugly in pics... LOL.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Yes sir,

The ROPS are standard.
    Since this is the case, the seatbelt is standard also.

In addition, they have adopted the Lesco style seat. It's still not gray in color, but it's the same adjustable back, adjustable armrest, folding seat... just in black. GREAT setup.

It also comes with the full suspension under the seat as well.
  7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't seen the new ones in person either but if I were going to trade mine 06 in ----- I'd ask them if I could swap floor plates and keep my old one. I would also paint the pulley covers black.

If the ROPS support is strong enough I would consider a sunshade which bolts to the crossmember.

My Cub Commercial dealer is in a smaller town about 15 or so miles away . When I do look at the new ones I'll post a reply if I have something to add.

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

10. Envy Lawn Service

I'm still scratching my head about the ergonomics...
    Haven't figured it out exactly.

I'm one of the people who likes to be scrunched up on the machine. I like to have my feet on the foot wedge where I can wedge myself in the seat that way.

On my machine, I have to slide my seat all the way forward just to reach the foot wedge, and I'm a tall guy. And for some reason I don't like sitting that far forward. I'm 200 lbs and I can tell a difference in how the machine handles (on the steep stuff).

The 2007... something is different. I don't know if the seat is able to go more forward or if the foot wedge is farther back / different... (?)

I guess the new footplate is maybe more functional for grip than the old one was. I miss the black diamond plate looks though. But this company (CTP) is about FUNCTION so I can't complain I guess.

I'm not sure how you "get at" some of the items behind the heel plate now. Things are different, and the old footplate will not even fit the 2007. The heel plate is no longer part of the footplate. So the thing is smaller and easier to deal with when you lift it up to get at the top of the deck.

Also, another nice thing about them that was on my "trivial" list is that with the newer better foot lift, it's not in the way of lifting the foot plate anymore, so you don't have to fool with it.

Anyways, my favorite things about the new ones v/s mine is the new seating, the new sticks and the new deck lift.

I'm getting the seating as soon as it arrives. Already ordered it.
    I can adapt the sticks or even make my current ones breakaway like that.
    The only thing is that it would be wierd cause mine lean out at the bottom too.
    But that could be fixed too if I wanted to put a jumper in that safety.

The deck lift... That can't be adapted to retro-fit. Not without a lot of fabrication and changes. I guess the new deck lift is why they changed the heavy duty side panels we have to those yellow lunchbox looking things. Our heavy duty panels reach too far forward.

I am going to study the right front weldment / lift pedal more though to see if I can devise a way to implement that much of it though. I don't mind the old tall handle... makes a good brush guard... LOL. My "trivial" words about it were only that it might get in the way of an emergency exit of the machine like the old break handle might (that got changed too).

Overall, the 2007's seem to be an improved package... cleaner design.
    Just a little uglier than they already were... LOL.

I don't care so much about the looks myself.
    I only bring it up because I realize this effects sales more than one might think.
    I want them to sell a ton of them....