Take customers out to dinner?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BerksLawn, Apr 15, 2002.

1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Do any of you reward your customers who help you get other customers? Well this one guy we started cutting his and picked up 5 more on the same street. He also has got us 5 other ones and going out to estimate a 2 acre yard tomorow. If we get this yard we will more then likely be getting a ztr:D FINALLY. He's a nice man invites us to his memorial day party and has even offered us Baltimore Raven tickets. We are pretty good friends with him now and if he's home he will always have all the toys up and even give us soda on hot days. Even bought us ice cream one time the truck went by. If we only had more customers like this. Anyway my dad is thinkin of taking my mom, him and his wife out to dinner. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

Lunch or dinner, it is still a good idea to show customer apreciation. Of course I like to eat well and when you go somewhere really nice, you are going to spend in the $70.00 plus range per couple which may be your monthly profit for that particular job.

Our offical policy on job referrals is that the customer referring get a 15.00 credit on their monthly bill, wether we get the job or not. They cannot get more than one 15.00 credit per month(cause some customers become super salesmen when they realize that they can make their lawn bill go away)

3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

A customer gets me five more on the same stop I will take them to dinner in a limo. One night of fun for a weeks mow tab that wouldn't have been there without the referral. Let your accountant figure the thing out... and go - man - go!

4. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Amen to that, two toros. I used to ask my customers for referrals and seldom got any - until I offered $40 off the next invoice.
    You have to keep the wheels greased.

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

If you get that many referals the guy must be a heck of a sales man. I have tried incentive for referrals. Didn't work, but then what I was offering was chicken feed compared to what you guys are talking about. That was when I NEEDED the work. Now I turn work down all the time. So there isn't much point in paying for some thing that I will more than likely turn down.

6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I stay as far away from my customers personal life as possible.

7. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Fireball how about 10% off for each referral if you close on the deal? Even if you cut one house for free you pick up ten customers. Referrals beat any form of advertizing hands down.
    Say for example the customers bill is $100 a month if they get 10 customers to sign its free for just that month. So the ??? is would you ratther have $100 or $1000. This works very well for us.
    Travis:D

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

For every referal I get I send the refering customer a "Mow Money" certificate good towards any service I offer. Kinda corny, but hey, it works for me.

mow money.jpg

9. Patrick Harvey

Patrick Harvey LawnSite Member

mowerman90,
    What an excellent idea! I love your picture on the bill, LMAO:D
    Thank you for sharing it. Im workin on mine tonight!
    Patrick Harvey
    Harvey Lawn Care
    Providence, KY

10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

In general, people love doing business with friends...or at least people they perceive as friends. Providing bonuses, incentives, thank you's, gifts, etc...all fall in line with excellent customer service practices.... Taking a client out to dinner...maybe...just make sure you remember to invite the husband too...Don't want to get fired because of your "generosity"

Sean Adams