Take home Trucks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Dec 20, 2003.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone out there allow employee's to take home trucks, not the equipment just the truck.

I am wondering about this for full timers next year.

I feel benefits would be retension, make them feel a little more important. give the others something to work towards. what are some thoughts on this. Anyone know of someone doing this already. I know a landscape compnay here that does it.

2. Kent Lawn Care

Kent Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I tried it for one week, then took em back, found my guys driving all over h....ls half acre with em. we were under the agreement that it was just to and from work and local driving only, not half way across the state. kinda odd how i was getting phone calls form people 200 miles away for estimates.

Besides what would happen if they get in a accident with your vehicle, or deside to do something crazy while drunk one night and get your truck impounded?

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

one of my guys takes a truck home sometimes.

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Some good thoughts Little Green Guy. I have thought about those issues but not sure how to handle them. I thought about letting them know about the benefit and if they abuse it or compromise me. I would compromise them by letting them go. I know them fairly well. Or at least I think I do? Isurance allows for coverage to do this but I am not sure if they went out of state or something like that. I still need to check this out. any other thought will be appreciated.

5. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

I tried this once and never again. I created strict guidelines for a couple employees who would actually leave from there house to the job site or equipment repair shop. I figured it would increase productive time and help them out a little financially.
    One night i was doing a vegatation control job at a commercial strip mall (well lit at night and no people) on my way home I passed a small bar and there were both of my trucks in the parking lot. The two employees left work and went to the bar to celebrate a B-day. when I surprised them by walking in the door , they tried acting all sober. I talked to bartender and found out just how long they'd been there. That was it, never again. I don't need the publicity of a company truck at a bar, or in the newspaper when they have an accident or god forbid someone is hurt or killed while they are driving drunk.

Needless to say the trucks went back to the shop after I took the two idiots home and got my wife to drive me back and fourth.

And a suggestion to all, if your going to a party or function where alcohol is involved, take your wifes car, just in case.

Happy Holidays to all

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Just my foreman. Too much liability in letting too many workers have use of the vehicles off-duty.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

No Way!!!! I know a fellow LCO who does, though. I saw one of her employees about two months ago at a convenience store we contract for. One of her senior tem members yelled me over after I was done mowing. His wife was in the store, and he had a Bud 40 between his legs while talking to me*(he was driving)There are too many variables about this issue for me to even consider it.Seeing this closed that option for me.Insurance is high enough w/o some emp. drinking and driving your vehicle.Imagine losing your business and your ass for thinking you were helping a guy out.:( Doesn't seem like a fair trade, now does it??

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Take home a truck? NO WAY!! I will lend them out if someone needs it for something (moving, pick up etc.) but no one takes trucks home. Only time I allow it is for plowing. But that is a foreman, and someone that I can trust. :cool:

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Managers have vehicles as they need them, but non-management employees no way!

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Find another way to make someone feel important. Give an employee an inch and they will take a mile when it comes to loaning vehicles. In the past we let an employee use a truck because his car broke down, he put about 4000 miles on it a month. In the winter we found a receipt for plowing with his phony business name on it. We knew he was doing this lot because he got stuck and before getting pulled out someone called our # which was on the truck to let us know. I also know of another LCO whos employee had his own fertilizer route with the LCO's truck AND fertilizer. The LCO didn't catch on for about 2 years, this was his right hand man, someone he thought he could trust.