Take home vehicles for employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by POPO4995, Oct 1, 2009.

1. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wondering if anyone allows employees to take home a business vehicle? I have been tossing it around and just wondered how other people work out fuel costs and other issues. Atleast one of my trucks sit almost everyday, except winter months, and i've found a truck will cost more in repairs not being used then being used everyday. A contractor friend of mine offers his employees take home trucks and pays them $50 a month for fuel and everything over that is their responsibility, and they are in charge of washing the truck once a week, which he pays for. Any input?:usflag:

2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

My experience, a:cry:ll bad for the company, great for the employee.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Seems as if you give your employees responsibility and treat with respect and let them know you appreciate them, they can be trusted better than if you treat them like monkeys. It may be a good idea to let an employee take a truck home for a few days if they need an extra vehicle. My boss let me use one of his older trucks for a few days after work while mine was in the shop.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

nice.As long as nothing happens . On the tax side you have to give them a 1099? for the value of the perk.

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Ok im ticked now.
    "
    I just wrote a 20 minute response to this, clicked reply, and got "database error"

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt let them use them if the trucks are lettered..

Dad did once, drove through town and he saw 2 of his trucks setting at the bar after quitting time.. told them he didnt want that happening, a week later they were there again...

7. or at least park around back.

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, cause thats where Dad parked his truck and it was lettered.. :laugh:

9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, parking around back, also keeps them from getting drunk and then driving your vehicle ...head-on into another car.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

From my experience...after treating employees as responsible humans, they are laughing at me for falling for their "honest, sober, dependable" guy ploy...after they've destroyed my property.