Take it easy on the guy.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, May 8, 2003.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

A customer of ours asks us to give his daughter an estimate on cutting her lawn.
    Knowing the area, Matt wasn't real keen about obtaining this lawn. Parking would be tough, at best the lawn would be 2,000 sq ft with access to it being difficult.
    But we obliged, and Matt took a dubious look at it.

After sizing it up, the actual turf was very small, but there was a horrendous ivy hillside that would need spot trimming all through out it. It would be impossible to trim all of it standing on flat ground, climbing would be involved. :rolleyes:
    He met the lady, who said she wasn't pleased with her current service because the guy wouldn't trim her hill every time.

Matt doesn't beat around the bush, he says, "$31.80". He says nothing else, because her jaw dropped.
    She says, "Well the guy I have now does it for $10.00.
    Matt, not missing a beat, takes a quick look around and says, "Take it easy on that guy. He's doing a helluva job for that price. Go easy on him. Btw, how often does he cut this?"
    Twice a month was her answer. Matt says, "For twenty bucks you can't complain, don't let this guy get away."

Matt comes home and says, "Can you believe this lady? She's paying $140.00 a year, and she wants to complain?

So hopefully now that Matt talked some sense into this lady, her lawn guy will still get to keep his job. ;)

2. I just had a lady do that this morning, 2000 sqft of cut then trim and blow, told her $30 cause I have to use a 21" on hers, she said her guy does it for $12, but he doesn't do a very good job of blowing. I didn't see a problem with it at all.

Always make sure you tell the morons to keep the morons.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Ha :D Reminds me of the time (10 years ago) one of our customers suggested we talk to a woman she knew. She was not happy with her current "man" either. We went over and looked around. Make no mistake, it was large lawn (approaching an acre) on a lake. People who live on lakes pump straight out of them and tend to be generous with the water and for about 3-4 months out of the year the grass could be down right brutal. We felt comfortable with the price we had come up with, but by no means was it gonna make anyone rich.

We told her the price would be $200 a month. She looked shocked as she said "that's out of the question, I was thinking you would charge more like $5 per hour!" :eek: The only thing you can do is laugh and walk back to the truck.

4. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I've been getting a lot of calls like that this spring also. You go out and they just can't wait to tell you all of their current guy's flaws. Then you give them a price and they are shocked, or tell you their guy charges $XXX (which is always less) and bags it too! It's like they think they will now get it for $7 instead of $10 and get a BETTER job too. I've also been getting a few customer bait-and-switches this year so far. They ask me for a "total package" price for lawn service, bed mulching and annual shrub trimming. When I give them a bid, all of a sudden they are now only interested in having the beds mulched and have already made other arrangements for the lawn service and the shrubs can wait! How can that be when I give them the bid the next day after looking at the property? Frustrating to say the least. :mad:

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is crazy what some people think is a reasonable rate. What is even worse is that they are unhappy with what they are currently getting but when you give a price to correct all of the problems it is too much. How do most people think you can get better service for the same price or less?

Gravely_Man

6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

isnt it great to be able to pick and choose what customers you want and dont want

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I just looked at a lawn last nite, bid 30 per mow for it lots of trees to trim around, anyways he called and left a mess, before i get home,he will have the neighbor boy do it, 12.00 also.

8. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Thats when I try to pick out the most expensive window in the house and say " well I bet that window cost 2000.00 dollars when the boy next door throws a rock through it, hope he'll pay for it , cause he wont have 2 mill worth of insurance like we do "

If he cuts his foot off on your proptery " hope his family's lawyer is real easy on you "

9. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Mike's signature says it all. In this case the stupid person's lawn suffes.

I loose 0 sleep at night when i dont pick up these jobs.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

My new neighbor asked me how much I would charge to cut their 1/4 acre lawn. She had given us a super low rate on child care so I thought I would return the favor. After all I would not have to haul anything and I could cut when I cut my own lawn.

So I say $20.00 per cut. She said she would have to talk to her husband.

The next time I saw her she said her last guy did it for $15.00. I asked her why he quite? No reply.
    I informed her that I estimated I would be losing $15.00 minimum per cut at the rate I charged.

I bet when the 100-degree heat gets here they will be willing to pay $50.00 per cut. Well, I will be all booked up when that time comes.:D

Jimbo