Take it or let it go?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NYRookie, Apr 3, 2003.

1. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I gave a large area restaraunt a bid last week. It included weekly mowing, everything has to be bagged otherwise it will be all over the parking lot, trimming, edging monthly, trimming a ditch that belongs to the state once a month so it does not take away from their lot and blowing off of all paved surfaces. Their is alot of little islands so it is kinda time consuming because half of it will be done with a 21".

I gave them a price of $100 per week, everything included. They called me back today and said their budget is only $150 per month, if I could do it for that it was mine. I told them that it will look like C--p. They told me to just mow it every other week. I don't know if that is the kind of work I want people to think that I do.

My question is, should I stick to my guns and turn it down, or should I just take it.

Any comment would be helpful.

2. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

Cheap Cheap Cheap.....only you know what it is worth, but I would say let it go, put your name on something better......leave those jobs for the scrubs

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If You can afford To BUMP IT. If Not do It till Something else Comes along.
    John.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'd skip it unless you REALLY need the account. Your reputation is worth more than $150 a month. Is it high visibility?? If so alot of people will see it and think that is the quality work you provide, they won't know that the restaurant is cheap!!! Just my 2 cents!!

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Exactly. I'm now accepting cruddy lawns because hey it's money. But later they will be culled out when I can afford to by replacing them with better ones.

6. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Thats too much a price diff. I couldn't neg. that much.:(

7. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

This place is very visible. It is on a state hwy, the second largest one in the county. I am tring to get enough work to quit my current job and I already have about 30 accounts, but I don't think I need this one.

Why is it that the properties with the most maintenance and the most money are always the $ pinchers. If someone could figure that one out, they would be rich.

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Would not be worth it for me. From what you described it is time consuming. I get paid for my time, and I don't work for free. If it was something I could be in and out of I might consider it. But a commercial account at $75 a cut I would have to be in and out in a 1/2hr or less. :cool:

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty simple question to answer.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Simple, you don't get rich by spending your money! If you did I'd be a millionare by now :blob4: well mom says I do have the Midas touch lOl