Take it? or run

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

How would you bid this? Within the yellow line, 42 cuts per year St Augustine (NOT) to water's edge max 15 degrees along bank.

The white area along the top is now St. Augustine. And there is a 6" curb to be edged all the way down the street. You can see the trees ( They have a mulch ring around them) and the ground is smooth , flat and fast. As a reference.. At the bottom of pic each lane of the road is 14' wide and the road is 9/10 of a mile.

The woman that asked me to bid told me the guy doing it now is getting 2300 a month. About 650 per cut. She likes my work and said I could have the deal...But is it worth it On a 62 "toro z? and one man.

Jimlewis..if you read this would you please give me your input please.

how would you bid1.jpg
  2. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Depends on what kind of accounts you have now. Do you have time for this job? It seems to me that this would be a good account. You figure $2300 a month for maybe 2 days work w/ one man but I would say it can be done in a day no problem. I would jump on it if you are up to the task.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you do it in a day? I bet you can. $650 per day with no employee is darn good $$$$. Is the property fairly close to your shop? This is the kind of property I love.
  4. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have time for it, but its 45 min north of where i am and I dont have any accounts near there. I am figuring 7.5 man hrs. This lady said she has 3 or 4 more she would like me to bid on. But that would be some pretty big eggs in one basket. I currently have 12 houses. With this prop and my houses Im looking at 3500 plus a month and close to 6500 with what she is offering me. Sounds good to me but if i piss her off i have a big problem.
  5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Looks like a good opportunity there!
  6. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Just dont piss her off. lol
    That is a lot of eggs in one basket but what a basket.
    Life is full of opportunities take one.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I see you're using a helicopter when you're out giving estimates...what'll they think of next? :D
  8. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I say jump on it. You already said she likes your work. Dont cut corners...especially not at the beginning of the season. Do a good job and you should have nothing to worry about.
  9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say your ship just came in. Is that a map quest aerial photo? I wonder if there is a way to guess acerage? You could probabley lock up the residential work too. Is this a HOA common ground for that residential area under construction? The question you realy should be asking yourself is "am I ready to Expand the scale of my business" Second lazer and one employee will launch you into the big league. GET ER" DONE!!!
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thats IS a lot of eggs in one basket, but if your schedule allows it, I think I would have to take it. Meanwhile, you could work on starting another crew for residentials (start some more baskets).

Also, what site did you get that pic from??