take pride in what you do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenClips, May 11, 2006.

1. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

There are a few mowing companies in my area that just don't take pride in what they do. They miss spots and their accounts just look like crap. My business is not that big but I do take pride in what I do. I don't care how pressed for time I am I do the job right.

2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

That's because you're solo and are in a position to take more pride because it's you doing the work and your name on the truck. I had an old employee tell me years ago that I do more for clients than I charge for. She was right. If I'm out in the feild, everything slows way down. I can always find something else to do and I'm a perfectionist.

Now that I'm not in the field anymore, accounts are getting done way faster, complaints are minimal and the accounts actually look pretty good, not as good as if I were there but you have to draw a line somewhere. I do property inspections and I find all kinds of things that wouldn't fly if I were out there running the crew but then again, I could find something wrong with the most impeccably maintained landscape.

I still stress attention to detail and that if you have time to do something, you have the time to do it right but it's a balancing act. Larger companies tend to take larger accounts and errors are easier to disguise/harder to notice on a larger property. When time is of the essence and it starts boiling down to dollars generated per man hour, you tend to let small, probably unnoticeable things slide. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's the way it goes.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I understand and my company does outstanding work and we even have a guarantee for our clients that state we will or we make it right for free if given a notice of service of a quality issue within 24 hours . BUT like said above, grow and get 3-4 employees and then later on make it 58 employees and check back with me on how it thens works out for you.