take the dog with you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Sep 8, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i saw this guy working the other day, had a german sheppard in the truck hanging out. I've seen this alot recently. do you think its unprofressional, or pretty cool the "sparky" the lawn dog gets to hang out, while protecting your stuff when you run in for lunch?

2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I see no problem doing little residential yards with a dog in the truck, but corporate America may not like a barking dog scaring customers walking by. Everyone knows we're human and also lead regular lives that includes a house pet, just watch where you take them.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Seems kind of unprofessional to me....its not much different than a bunch of screaming kids really.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

agreed. but what i saw was these humble looking pooches that were begging "pet me!". laid back hounds i'm suggesting here, not Cujo :gunsfirin .

5. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Beagle that I take with me most mornings. She's either in the truck, or in the back yard if the customer isn't home, or if they like dogs.

6. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

My next puppy will go with me from day one. I am solo now, and when I go in home depot etc I WORRY about the equipment. Most will think twice about a trailer full of equipment and a dog. Theives look for an easy pick.
    Matt

7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I dont see a problem with bringing a dog along as long as you dont overheat them. Its either leave them at home alone, or bring them along. Easy choice.

8. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I'd say it depends on the dog. A good social dog (ie, friendly and definitely not noisy!) is a great companion and most people looking to steal avoid any obstruction and look for an easier target. I guess in this case, the look is worse than the bite!

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was younger, I had quite afew dogs that followed me wherever I went, including work. I don't see a problem with it, as long as the animal isn't neglected.. I agree though, it really depends on the dog..

10. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I have two rules for my dog. Don't run into the street, and don't bark at the customers. She obeys them-usually. :dizzy: She's a small dog (20lbs), so I don't think she ever scares anyone with her bark, but if someone (animal or person) comes near the truck, she howls.