Take the Lawn Care Plunge??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daleman, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

I am considering starting a residential lawn care service in the spring of 2002. I have located an area about an hour and a half from where I currently live, that currently has a high unfilled demand for lawn care services. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I would have to move, and also my wife and I are expecting our first child (due in October). I am currently a salesman for Frito-Lay, and my wife is a bookeeper for a small accounting firm. I have taken college courses in small business management, marketing, sales etc.
    If you were in my situation would you start the biz?

What is the average possible earnings for a first year solo biz?

Is 5-9k reasonable for a solo start-up?

Any other information or tips anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, this seems like an excellent website!!

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you get 40 $30 lawns, this will be $1200 a week times 4.5 weeks a month will be $5400 a month. As you can see, it's all in numbers. Now, you just have to get that many and have the equipment to handle it by yourself. A 36" W/B will get do twice as many lawns as a 21" in the same time. A 50" ZTR will double the 36" as far as mowing time. You just have to figure out what you need for equipment, but you need the lawns first. ;)

3. casey

casey Guest

A 36 wb WILL NOT DO TWICE AS MANY LAWNS AS A 21". It depends on the lawn. I leave the 36 in the trailer more than half the time when doing small res..21" IS FASTER. Deal with it.

I'll take my 21 LB COMM against any size Chopper on a small res any day.

Eat my dust.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Why wait?

See if you can get some lawns now... part time. See what kind of response you get.... See if you like it.

Tom

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Casey
    I was giving him some ideas on how much he can make and some approximate mowers to use and the differences. Who do you think gave the most helpful advice, you or me?

Instead of critisizing me and others, why don't you try helping others here. One more smart comment like that and we will see who has the most power here, you or me. Consider this a warning.

6. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

I was waiting for that. LOL

7. KV

KV LawnSite Member

Daleman,

I am new this year and yes there is money to be made in this business and being a salesman you will find that you will use your customer service skills very often. But one thing is what Eric said check on the price of equiptment! Everyone told me to buy the best and I choose not to because of my financial situation. So don't sink yorself buying the goods get your feet wet and then go from there. Also are you gonna work solo or have help. Also you might want to think about insurance because it is easy to make mistakes when your new. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way but fells better not to! Good luck with the biz and the new little one!

KV

8. casey

casey Guest

Eric,
    You said a 36 will do twice as many lawns as a 21 in the same amount of time. This is not necessarily true. I have a 36 hydro I have many 21 LB comm. The 36 WILL NOT cut twice as many lawns as my 21 LB. on most of my small res.
    Are you going to wield your supreme power an censor that OPINION?

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Casey,

It's not about you stating your opinion. It's just that you seem to come here to rile people up.

The "eat my dust" comment after you gave your opinion was entirely uncalled for.

10. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

You tell 'em Jodi!:)