1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Take the rotor, leave the body...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mooch91, Jun 20, 2013.

1. mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

Am I the only person who has never been able to successfully remove the rotor from its body while it's still in the ground? In every case I've tried, the sprinkler will release from the NPT elbow before it will disassemble in the ground.

I know it's very easy to cut the sod and remove the whole sprinkler that way, but for once I'd like to avoid it.

Any tips?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Get a drywall saw cut around the head.

1 pair of channel locks on the rotor, 1 pair of channel locks on the body...good luck
  3. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

we routinely "screw out, screw in". cut about 5" in diameter around the head. then just unscrew the head off the fitting and screw a new one back on. with PGP's, which is what we use, it works all the time. not so sure with 5000's.

just be careful when removing the old head
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Godfather. I got it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

Is it considered being a hack if you do this? I just realized the time savings in leaving the body, but felt like I was short cutting the job by doing it like this.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It really isn't in the job description for a sprinkler head, to allow you to easily perform a guts swap.
  7. mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

I guess the only way to do it is to try to get in there with the channel locks. Some heads recede to the point where it's not possible.
  8. mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

You take the whole head right off the elbow? Or just the guts of the rotor, leaving the body? I have taken the whole head off, but I didn't like it - the potential for dirt then inside the sprinkler is high, especially if it's at a low point and the line drains down once you remove the head.
  9. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I find it easier to remove the whole head. I a long bladed knife in my tool box and use it to cut around the top, then grab the top with channel locks and spin it out, then install new head. The whole process can be done in less than a min. The soil here packs nicely so it early falls back in.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The older 5000 heads from Rainbird might present an issue on replacements, since they cheaped out on the amount of plastic at the connection point, and have those flat surfaces down there moving soil around as you unscrew a head.