1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Take the rotor, leave the body...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mooch91, Jun 20, 2013.

1. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't be a hack. Dig that $hit up and replace the head properly..... this also allows you to ensure that the head is straight and the soil around the head is compacted properly.

2. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

I also provide the mowing at my sites, bad haven't seen this problem yet. I find most heads are buried too low and end up stuck under the mat of grass encasing them. I don't dig all the way down with it when I'm doing spring startups, just enough to get the sod. Here we are a month later and I can't see most of the heads again.

I can see it being an issue if you remove too much dirt when using the trimmer, but I remove just enough to get the sod.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

....... True dat

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Only if you are using the tool improperly.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The tricky part of "cookie cutters" is to avoid pushing down too hard and rotating the heads. We once trimmed a site and the crew managed to rotate the heads into the picture windows that had just been washed! :dizzy: