1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

taken care of model home centers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contourbs, Feb 24, 2005.

1. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

around my town there are tons of there, anyone at there take care of them, also whats the trick to getting them.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would love to know what the trick is to it, Ther are a couple around here and still news ones going up.
  3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Try getting to know the developers. In most instances, they are incharge of the addition (centers) through the majority of the construction. If you can get in with them, many times the directors or HOA's will continue to use you.
    Good luck.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Usually the trick is to be cheap. Model homes are builders showhouses. Just like everything dealing with builders...its cheapest price. The person who lays the sod will have the first opportunity to maintain the prop. Not always the case, but they have the best chance if they do cutting. Call the builder who has the model homes and talk with them. See what they have to say.
  5. Ky. Jones

Ky. Jones LawnSite Member

I actually cut for two different developers. It is a combination of things:
    1. Good Price - not neccessarly always the cheapest
    2. Adaptability - most developers take care of the model home and the general properties in a neighborhood until final construction is completed. Then an association takes over, you get some and not others. But good developers start a new project right as they finish one. So you may go a couple weeks cutting both.
    3. "Moveability" - They buy land where they can. It may be close it may be far. They only what to deal with one company no matter where they are building.
    4. Dependability - The best compliment I ever got was "I dont have to even think about the grass" They have enough other contractors to hassle

I have also realized that developers contrary to believe are loyal as long as you keep them happy.

It is great for refferals. I cut a development two years ago now and I lost the association when they left, but I have 12 properties in it.