Taken over by crabgrass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jeffd1979, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

My backyard has been taken over by crabgrass.. I would say about 30% of the grass in my backyard is crabgrass... I put down some pre-emergant weed control about 2 weeks ago but i think it was to late.. I went to home depot and all i could find for post emergent crabgrass is the spray bottle.. there is no way that will work.. is there anything i can do for this now or do i just have to wait till next spring to deal with it? Any help would be appreciated..

Also i have some kind of moss or somthing growing in my yard.. best i can describe it is a fuzzy moss looking area with really think sprouts coming up and what appears to be seeds on top. That description may not help but if so could anyone tell me what it might be and what to use to get rid of it..

Thanks guys..

Oh and i am in charlotte NC..

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

If my truck has a knock in the engine I call a mechanic........Professional help is only a phone call away.

3. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

Anyone on here own a lawn care service in charlotte NC?? :p

4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure that you have crabgrass present now? The soil temp needs to be atleast 57 degrees for it to start emerging. I know in Eastern NC, TN and Atlanta, this is just now getting there. PreM will definately help, even if you got it down late, it will still help provide a barrier for the later developing plants. I have known of people utilizing pre-emergents once per month during the growing season. You have to be careful with that and to make sure that you are reducing your application rates to reflect it. Most people have a major problem in late Aug and early Sept. because the previous apps of PreM have broken down by then. If you do infact have crabgrass present in your lawn, you will probably have to wait another month before you can buy products in a retail environment that will be in the forms of a post emergent control of crabgrass. Otherwise, try looking for a Co-op around you or someone that can sell other products from manufacturers like PBI- Gordon or Regal, etc.

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I doubt that your lawn is 30% crabgrass already. I always get calls from customers in April and early May complaining about crabgrass. It is just too early to see crabgrass emerging even in the south.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

lowes sells bayer moss& algae killer crabgrass is sprouting in the south I treat it in my yard with baking soda

7. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

Baking soda--really?

8. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

Get a professional to spray the yard. There are many products that are post emergent sprays that will SMOKE crabgrass without hurting the turf grass.