1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Taking a pump apart questions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Since I have all winter and can just buy a new one if I screw this one up I have a few questions.
    I have a leak at the shaft going into the prop housing. There are 4 bolts holding the motor to the plate. I removed those. There are two allen screws in a brass coupling holding the shaft? I removed those and it seems to me the motor should just pull out?

I removed the 4 bolts holding the pump housing together. Do I need to take a screwdriver and hammer to split the two parts separate?

2011-12-12_17-02-25_43.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Spray some penetrant on the seam, and tap lightly. Play "Little Drummer Boy" to help you pass the time :)

3. Would that also be true for the motor shaft? Not sure I absolutely need to remove the motor but it would lighten the pump.

4. Wet_Boots

Same deal. Most modern pumps wouldn't have that brass coupler, because the motor shaft would have a threaded end that goes directly to the impeller.

5. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

The motor nameplate will tell you the shaft type. NEMA 56J would have a threaded shaft I think. Many other NEMA frame standards out there, just don't remember any of them. Sorry if you already know this, just thought I'd put it out there :)

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are not getting any extra points for pics from fuzzy devices. :hammerhead:

7. Wet_Boots

it's your eyesight that's fuzzy

8. Mike Leary

Sharp is sharp:

MonumentValley3.jpg

9. Wet_Boots

there's a John Ford western out there

10. Mike Leary

I've heard stories from older Flagstaff locals what a trip it was when Mr. Ford and Mr.Duke and the cast came to town. John Ford loved Monument Valley.