1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Taking a reverend to court

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, May 4, 2007.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Two months ago I did a huge shubbery job(800 bucks worth) for a well known reverend. He was supposed to cut my check the following Tuesday. Well, two months have past, sent another statement and no return calls or anything. Yes, I have his signature on the paper work and agreement. I'm not sure how long you have to wait before you take legal action but fixing to find out. Reminds me of what my pastor said "fake Christians have created more non belivers than anyone else". Its ashame when a man of God (or supposed to be) pulls a stunt like this. Think it would help to show up at his church and hand him a bill in front of everyone:laugh: It really pizzes me off to get beat on this much money especially since I had to hire help on this one and thats cash out of my pocket since I paid him as soon as we were threw:mad:
  2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea of going to the church when all the people are there to give him the bill. Do it while he's preaching. use a megaphone as well!:laugh:
  3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

olddebts.com they may help in your battle. cheap and effective.
    I am sorry to hear that happened to you, hope you get paid! I have been there, as we most have and it is no fun.

good luck
  4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's time to knock on his front door.
  5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Talk to his board of Deacons and let them know what's going on. You might not get paid, but he'll be job shopping.
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

He is just another human being with no wings attached I promise. Call and ask him if he received your bill, to make sure he has seen them. When he says yes ask him if there is some type of problem that you have not received your money. Tell him cash flow is an absolute must in your business, as with most, at that time ask him when you can expect your money and make him give you a definite time you should receive it. You can believe most pastors do not want to be seen or for it to be known they were invited to small claims court.
  7. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

Fake Christian? I have had my share of money problems in the past, but that didn't change my belief in God or the fact that I am going to heaven when I die.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Danny, go talk to him and ask him nicely to pay you. Charge him late charges too, because if it was a huge shrubbery job knowing you you charged him a lot less than what it was worth in the first place.LOL.
  9. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

Directly out of the Bible, here is how God commands you to handle this situation. Please, from one Christian to another, pick up your Bible for answers before asking others.

I Corinthians 6:1-11
    "When one of you has a dispute with another believer, how dare you file a lawsuit and ask a secular court to decide the matter instead of taking it to other believers! Don't you realize that someday we believers will judge the world? And since you are going to judge the world, can't you decide even these little things among yourselves? Don't you realize that we will judge angels? So you should surely be able to judge ordinary disputes in this life. If you have legal disputes about such matters, why go to outside judges who are not respected by the church? I am saying this to shame you. Isn't there anyone in all the church who is wise enough to decide these issues? But instead, one believer sues another - right in front of nonbelievers!
    Even to have such lawsuits with one another is a defeat for you. Why not just accept the injustice and leave it at that? Why not let yourselves be cheated? Instead, you yourselves are the ones who do wrong and cheat even your fellow believers.
    Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or who commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people - none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

From what I get out of this, if you cannot settle this just between the two of you, you are going to need to take it up with the church and let them help you settle this. If no resolution can be made (meaning you don't get paid), then you are commanded to let yourself be cheated. That's going to be very hard for some non-believers to understand and they will probably tell you otherwise. Just know where those words above are coming from.
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah tell that to all the molested kids.... and their parents... If the man will not pay, then take him to YOUR court, and let it be judged by our peers in a court of law, Mans law. Hes a man your a man.

And those words you quoted come from the bible written my MAN....

go to church and put the invoice in the collection pan....:)