taking a trip with the 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Jun 8, 2008.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, so i'm taking my new (32k miles) 2500HD on a 1800 mile round trip to Fort Jackson in Columbia, south Carolina for a few days to see my friend before he gets shipped to Iraq. his pregnant girlfriend (long story) is going with me and splitting the cost of everything, so we decided that we could make the 15 hour drive without having to find someplace to stay during the drive. is there anything i should be concerned about on these trucks for a drive of this length? i'm hoping for an average of 14MPG which is what i normally get on the highway. a few days before i go (2 weeks from tomorrow) i'll have it serviced by the dealer and have them check everything over, which is part of the goodwrench oil change anyway. I know enough to take a couple quarts of all the trucks fluid's with me, but can the vehicle take a 15 hour drive(no trailer, and no load) without stopping for more than 20 or so mins every couple hours without burning up? it'll be about 1050 miles down and about 800 miles back, i'm leaving from Hampton beach and returning home to lenox.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

"but can the vehicle take a 15 hour drive(no trailer, and no load) without stopping for more than 20 or so mins every couple hours without burning up?"

Seriously, the truck can take it, LOL. The real question is, can your wallet take it? That 6.0 will get very thirsty. Might be better off to rent a small economical car.

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Yep, i bet it will be slightly over 500.00 for fuel. The truck can handle it, just like you said, have them check it out before you go. I've read if you take long trips (like you do) and you stop to fill up, don't shut the truck off. Let it run, it will keep the trans temp down. If you shut it off, and your trans temp is 185 degrees, it will slowly fry your trans. Leaving it running will cool it down, along with the rest of the truck.

4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

It will handle it no problem.

5. mike lane lawn care

i looked into renting a prius, from a local rental agency. but with the cost of a rental, and insurance, then fuel, it was only $150 less than taking my truck that is waaaaay more powerful and comfortable. she's splitting the cost of fuel with me, and the GPS estimates that at 13.5 MPG, it'll cost about $600 to drive down there and back, so we're both planning on having $500 with us so that we have a buffer zone for food and stuff.

6. mike lane lawn care

i've heard that too, and when i'm stopped, i'll either park it while running, or lave it in neutral, which is what i heard from people who plow snow for hours at a time

7. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

One of my teachers had a prius (the hybrid) and we took a trip it was a 100 miles round trip and we averaged 49.9 mpg . . . it also had indash GPS . . . those cars are sweet . . . know if only they had a hitch :rolleyes:

8. tras

tras LawnSite Member

lol, dont worry about it. Not going to harm the truck at all.

Have fun at the pump though, last big trip i took in my 6.0 gasser i filled up 7 times in one weekend. ;)

9. johnnie5

johnnie5 LawnSite Member

the truck will take it, the question is can you ;)

claim the fuel on your business :)

10. mike lane lawn care

i'll take the fuel no problem, the question is, can i handle having someone who will be 8 months pregnant in the truck with me? we're leaving at night, so hopefully she'll sleep for a good portion of the drive.