Taking account for compaction??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Nov 2, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Pricing a winter job of filling in a lot for a homeowner. Lot is 83' x 140'. Front and rear of lot are just about level. At lowest point the middle of lot is 19.5" below grade. The rest front front/back to middle runs from 2" to 19.5" in middle.

I figured at approx of fill across while lot would bring it to grade and should accnt for compaction. Should my number for the amount of fill be more? Now from left to right there is a grade level hump on left side but nothing on right side. So we would have to completely build up that side.

I came up with around 700cuyds of material needed.
    We will be using a D3 or possibly a D5 Dozer to spread and compact.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Use a sheep foot roller to compact. Dozer won't compact enough
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I figure 25-30% compaction factor when using compaction equipment. Is this just a lot and nothing will be built on it? If so, dozer compaction should be no more than 10% I'd wager. Depends on material really, but that's a rough estimate.

4. KrayzKajun

Nothing will be built on it for at least another year maybe longer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

It really depends on the type of soil.

6. KrayzKajun

This will be batcher dirt. It's a river clay/dirt mix.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Whenever I do jobs even as simple as this I make sure I include in the bid that the material will or will not be compacted to a certain density and whether or not it will be tested. The issue is someone builds a slab on grade building and the material settles causing issues guess who the first call goes to? It will be the guy who brought in the fill and "compacted it".

This may be over thinking this particular project, but just keep in mind when you bid things like this, what the end use will be. I am very specific when I write bids on jobs like this. I have seen some crazy issues come out of seemingly simple jobs concerning compaction.

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device

9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I agree...compaction is huge. Bid it with compaction to usual spec in your area

10. KrayzKajun

We are just filling in the lot to level it. In the future when they build, it will have to be built up to code, plus pilings will be put in also before the slab is poured.
    Posted via Mobile Device